Infant Toddler Development Training
Module 2, Lesson 3
Read Listening to Others in Meetings by Christopher Avery, Ph.D. As you read this article, take note of the
- characteristics of a good listener, and
- strategies for improving your listening skills.
he following quotations were taken from the International Listening Association's website. As you will see, people have long recognized the value of listening. Consider the meaning of the quotations.
- Which quotation or quotations do you like best?
- Why do you suppose that listening is such a challenging task for most people?
- Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.
- The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be understood. The best way to understand people is to listen to them.
- A wise man listening to a fool will learn more than a fool listening to a wise man.
- I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.
- I make progress by having people around me who are smarter than I am and listening to them. And I assume that everyone is smarter about something than I am.
Henry J. Kaiser
- I feel like a terribly slow learner in acknowledging that only in recent years have I come to learn that listening is a primary way by which I can become a significant person in my own eyes and in the eyes of others. And I must continually relearn it.
- If in all our practices of life we could learn to listen...if we could grasp what the other persons are saying as they themselves understand what they are saying, the major hostilities of life would disappear for the simplest reason that misunderstanding would disappear.
previous | next