Infant Toddler Development Training
Module 5, Lesson 2
1. A study by Blue-Banning, Summers, Frankland, Nelson, and Beegle (2004) looked at family/professional partnerships for collaboration in early intervention. The authors examined indicators of professional behavior which facilitated collaboration with families. They identified six indicators as crucial for collaboration. Which of the following groups include the six indicators?
a. communication, empathy, equality, skills, trust, respect
b. communication, commitment, compassion, skills, trust, respect
c. communication, commitment, equality, skills, trust, respect
d. consideration, commitment, equality, skills, trust, respect
2. When we use critical communication skills, we convey concern and an attempt to understand the other person. It is a building block of collaborating and trust-building. Some important components of communication for collaboration outlined in this lesson include
a. accepting the other person and his/her perspectives and differences.
b. assumptions based on perspectives and motives from the families rich cultural heritage.
c. restating and allowing the other person to confirm or correct our perceptions.
d. answers a and c
3. According to information outlined in this lesson, good communication with families has all the following effects except:
a. leads to the establishment of a positive relationship based on trust and confidence
b. allows for the establishment and maintenance of an IFSP that provides a focus on functional outcomes
c. gathers critical information the family wants you to know about their child
d. clarifies cultural and family values that are important to the family
4. What term best describes the process whereby a family communicates information about the child so that an IFSP can be developed?
a. family assessment
b. family-centered information gathering
c. family-centered assessment
d. family information assessment
5. Cultural differences between families and professionals may lead to miscommunication and conflict. According to the material you read in Lesson 2, issues to be aware of include all of the following except:
a. importance of saving face
b. previous interactions with professionals
c. emphasis placed on very animated communication
d. importance of preserving harmony and not being confrontational
previous | next