Module One: Lesson One
Florida Interagency Coordinating Council for Infants and Toddlers (FICCIT)
IDEA, Part C requires that states participating in the federal Part C Program have a statewide, interagency coordinating council (ICC) to assist and advise the lead agency in coordinating activities for the planning and implementation of the IDEA, Part C Program.
The Florida Interagency Coordinating Council for Infants and Toddlers (FICCIT) is Florida's ICC. FICCIT provides advice on sources of fiscal and other support services for the Early Steps system, assignment of financial responsibility to the appropriate agency, and promotion of interagency agreements by:
- Assisting in the preparation and submission of an annual report to the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education, the Florida Governor, the Florida Commissioner of Education and to the Florida Secretary of the Department of Health on the status of families participating in Early Steps
- Recommending procedures for distribution of funds and priorities for program support under Part C of the IDEA as amended by Public Law 102-119 and assisting in obtaining public comment on the Florida State Plan as required by IDEA, Part B
- Assisting the lead agency in developing and reporting information and evaluations of programs for infants and toddlers with disabilities and their families
- Assisting the lead agency in seeking information from service providers, service coordinators, parents and others about any federal, state or local policies that impede timely service delivery and taking steps to ensure identified policy issues are resolved
- Advising, to the extent appropriate, the state educational agency and the lead agency on appropriate services for children birth to five inclusive, and the transition of toddlers with disabilities to services under Part B of IDEA
- Conducting meetings, open to the public, on a quarterly basis at various locations throughout the state
Read more about the structure and governance of FICCIT as set forth by its by-laws and the dates and locations of upcoming meetings.
previous | next