Panama City Beach


What is WIC?

WIC is a federally funded nutrition program for Women (must be pregnant, breasfeeding or less than 6 months postpartum), Infants and Children up to 5 years of age.

How do I apply?

Call the WIC office in your local area
For the local Panama City office call (850) 872-4666.
For the DeFuniak Springs office call (850) 892-8020.
You can also reach us via e-mail.

What do I have to bring to my first appointment?

Bring ALL family members applying for WIC including all infants and children under 5 years of age.

Bring proof of ALL income (before taxes and deductions) received by ALL persons living in your household, such as:
See Income Guidelines

  • Paycheck Stubs for the last month
  • Child Support Income Document.
  • Unemployment or Worker's Compensation Document
  • Military Leave and Earnings Statement.
  • Income Tax Documents (can only accept these during the months of January and February for current tax reporting period).
  • If you receive Medicaid, Food Stamps or TANF, bring your current Notice of Case Action. 

Bring Proof of Identification, such as:

  • Valid Driver's License
  • Current Military ID
  • Birth Certificate
  • Hospital Records or Crib Card for new babies
  • Social Security Card
  • Immunization Record
  • Passport 

Bring Proof of where you live, such as:

  • Utility bill - electric or phone
  • Housing or Rental Agreement
  • Bank/Insurance Statement 

What will happen on my first appointment?

  • WIC will review the income for your household for the past month.
  • Once the household data is complete, we will send you and/or your child/children to our lab to be weighed, measured for height, and we may need to get a drop of blood to measure your hemoglobin (iron level).
  • One of our Nutrition staff will review your information and talk with you about your eating habits. From this information you and the nutrition staff will review and discuss ways you can improve your nutrition health or the health of your child/children. They will also provide guidelines for feeding your infant or child, and you will be able to ask nutrition questions.
  • Finally, you will be sent to a clerk who will print your WIC checks that you can spend at approved grocery stores to purchase WIC approved foods. 

How can WIC help me with breastfeeding?

WIC has several staff members who are breastfeeding specialists. We also have trained breastfeeding peer counselors who are available to work with you while you are breastfeeding. Our staff can answer your questions, help solve any breastfeeding problems and simply provide reassurance that things are going well. WIC also has breastfeeding classes available and a breastfeeding support group.

Does my baby have to go off WIC on the first birthday?

NO!! Your child can remain on WIC until his/her fifth birthday. We need to verify household income, where you live and identification once a year for your child to remain on WIC. We also do a mid-year assessment (height, weight, hemoglobin - as needed) to make sure your child is healthy.