The Florida Department of Health in Martin County Banner
Body Piercing Facilities

Martin County has several businesses which offer body piercing to the public. Body piercing is a form of body art which includes the act of penetrating the skin to make a hole, mark or scar which is generally designed to be permanent in nature.

ALL businesses that offer body piercing are required to be permitted and inspected by the Florida Department of Health.  Body piercing facilities also generate biomedical waste and are required to hold a biomedical waste permit.

Do I need a permit if I only do ear piercing?

If the ear piercing is done through the use of a mechanized, pre-sterilized ear-piercing system that penetrates ONLY the outer perimeter or lobe of the ear or both, then it is does not require a permit. If any additional portion of the ear is pierced, it is considered body piercing and does require a permit.

How do I apply for a permit?


What are some of the frequently asked questions about body piercing?


Is any special training or certification required to do body piercing in Florida?

Operators and piercers (defined in section 381.0075, F.S., and section 64E-19.002, F.A.C. respectively) need training in infection control procedures prior to licensure of a body-piercing salon.

Upon request, training course curriculum is reviewed by the Department of Health, Bureau of Community Environmental Public Health, to ensure that good infection control procedures are taught to minimize the risk of injury and infection that can result from body piercing procedures. Training providers must have the required knowledge, experience, and credentials.

Where can I find more information, including the laws governing body piercing facilities in Florida?  


  EH Divider

 Contact Information:

Phone: 772-221-4090    Fax: 772-221-4967
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

This page was last modified on: 10/14/2013 01:57:18