Mission: To protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts
- Nassau Home
- Community Events
- Programs We Offer
- Public Information
- Our Locations
- About Us
Community Health Education / NCHIC
Nassau Health Improvement Coalition (NCHIC)
Vision: The Nassau Health Improvement Coalition will improve the level of health in Nassau County through awareness, education, partnership, prevention, service delivery, and policy development so that individuals achieve their potential to live healthy, active lifestyles.
Mission: The Nassau Health Improvement Coalition’s mission is to improve the health status of the Nassau County community by addressing and monitoring priority health and wellness issues through a collaborative, community-driven process.
About: The Nassau County Health Advisory Council made a name change to “Nassau County Health Improvement Coalition” or NCHIC, including revising the mission and vision in early 2007. NCHIC consists of a number of local agencies, organizations, community groups, and community members who come together with the common goal of improving the overall health of the Nassau County community. The coalition typically meets every other month on the fourth Monday. See the schedule of upcoming meetings that will take place at the Yulee Full Service School (Nassau Family Education Center) - 86207 Felmor Road, Yulee FL 32097
Upcoming NCHIC meetings:
- October 27 at 1 p.m.
- January 27 at 1 p.m.
- February 24 at 1 p.m.
- April 28 at 1 p.m.
- August 25 at 1 p.m.
Examples of initiatives and projects that NCHIC supports include:
- Walk With Me. Sponsored by NCHIC, this program challenges community members and organizations to create walking groups, encouraging them to participate in upcoming Walk With Me events.
- Partnership for a Healthier Nassau. This is a collaborative community based group that completed the work of the MAPP process and developed the Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP). The PHN (Partnership for a Healthier Nassau) Steering Committee is tasked with monitoring the plan implementation for the next 3 years - more information at the NEFL counts Initiative Center.
- Walk With a Doc. Kiersten Prince, DO, with Baptist Primary Care in Callahan sponsors a monthly walk with patients, starting from Ewing Park. Dr. Prince has adopted a national program and walkers begin with a 30-miute trip, with a goal of working up to a 45-minute walk.
- Nassau County School District Worksite Wellness Program. To implement best practices for worksite wellness, the district has on-site exercise and nutrition classes and wellness libraries and other resources available for employees to check out. Some activities are also open to the community.
- Community Resource Guide. Sponsored by the Florida Department of Health, Nassau County and NCHIC, the Community Resource Guide includes local health and social services, as well as a free physical activity section highlighting local fitness opportunities.
- Health Education Lending Library. Sponsored by the Florida Department of Health Nassau County, this free resource equips agencies with the tools and resources to host health education classes and programs.
For more information on how to get involved with NCHIC or any of the above programs, please contact the Community Health Education Office at 904-548-1853.
Minutes From Previous Meetings