Mission: To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.
- Programs & Services
- Disaster Preparedness
- Useful Links
- Our Sites
- Contact Us
Meet our Senior Leaders / Paul M. Minshew - Environmental Manager - Biography
Paul M. Minshew is the Environmental Manager for the Florida Department of Health in Volusia County. He has been in that position since 1985. Paul has over 36 years of experience with the Florida Department of Health and former Health and Rehabilitative Services beginning his career with the Florida Department of Health in Pinellas County in November of 1976.
Paul received his bachelor of science degree in Environmental Health from East Carolina University in May of 1976 and partially completed his Masters at the University of South Florida in the School of Public Health prior to coming to Volusia County. He became a Registered Sanitarian in 1987.
- Paul is a past president of the Florida Environmental Health Association (FEHA) (2002-2003), an organization that he first joined in 1980. He served on the Board of Directors in various positions over twelve years and was recognized for this service in 2003 by being honored with a Lifetime Membership Award. In 2004, he received the association’s highest award, the Billy G. Tennant Meritorious Service Award.
- Paul currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Florida Association of Food Protection, a professional association that he first joined in 1992. In 2012, he received the “Sanitarian of the Year” award.
- Paul’s work has been published in the National Journal of Environmental Health, the Florida Journal of Environmental Health, and the CDC publication - MMWR.
- Paul is a recognized State expert in the Rabies Program and has taught classes for the past 15 years on the topic for the Animal Control Officers Certification course held routinely in Volusia County. In addition, he provided training at the Florida Association of Animal Control in November 2006. Paul also serves as an Ad Hoc member of the Animal Control Advisory Board for Volusia County.
- He has served on Florida’s Arbovirus Task Force since 2002. This is a multi- agency group that routinely meets to discuss mosquito-borne disease and measures for its prevention and control.
- Paul is recognized as an expert in environmental health disaster response by State and local emergency preparedness staff. He serves as the Region 5 Environmental Health strike team coordinator and as one of its deployable leaders. He serves on state work groups for the “Asset Typing” of resources, training of environmental health strike teams/leaders and development of computer based community assessment forms. Through the years he has served on EH strike teams that deployed to affected locations in Florida for hurricane response’s in 1999, 2003, and 2004. In 2005, he deployed with the FDOH environmental health strike team to Mississippi in response to Hurricane Katrina. He has served many hours on the ESF 8 desk at the Volusia County Emergency Operations center in response to local disasters such as hurricanes, wildfires, floods and tornado’s. He is a trained incident commander, planning section chief, intelligence liaison officer and public information officer.
Page last updated: 09/20/13