Knowledge of Parenting & Child Development
- Parents know their children best—their unique behaviors, interests, and abilities.
- It is challenging for any parent to be an expert on all aspects of infant, child, and teenage development or the most effective ways to support a child at each stage.
- When parents are not aware of normal developmental milestones, or they do not know how to respond to and effectively manage a child's behavior, they can become frustrated and may resort to harsh discipline or emotional withdrawal.
- Children thrive when parents provide not only affection, but also respectful communication and listening, consistent rules and expectations, and safe opportunities that promote independence.
- Successful parenting fosters psychological adjustment, helps children succeed in school, encourages curiosity about the world, and motivates children to achieve.