In Person: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Eastern Standard Time. We are located at 1217 North Pearl Street in Jacksonville, FL 32202.
By Mail: Applications are hyperlinked below and should be mailed to:
P.O. Box 210 Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042
By Visiting VitalChek® website/telephoning our only recognized vendor: For those customers wishing to use a credit card, the Bureau has recognized the VitalChek Network as our only external partner. If you wish to use the VitalChek Network, visit their website or telephone 877-550-7330 to speak with a customer representative. If calling from outside the United States, call 877-550-6800. Additional fees will apply. If you should experience problems with online ordering, please contact VitalChek for assistance. If you elect UPS as the method of delivery, a signature will be required.
Need information on Apostilles?
(Please read all instructions before completing the Birth Order form)
Not born in Florida? Click the link to find contact information for other states. www.cdc.gov
If you or your child were born outside of the United States and need information on foreign birth records, visit the National Center for Health Statistics. www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/foreign.htm
Obtaining your birth certificate:
Florida's birth certificate is a computer certification that contains an embossed seal incorporated into the safety paper, which meets requirements established by Homeland Security and other national and international groups. Florida has issued computer certifications since the mid 1980s, which is accepted by the U.S. Passport Office, the Social Security Administration, courts, school districts, and other state and federal entities and cruise lines requiring proof of U.S. birth.
Ordering a birth certificate for use by a foreign government:
If you are obtaining a birth certificate for use by a foreign government, we urge you to contact the nearest Consulate's office for that country to determine what certification type (computer or photocopy) may be required prior to ordering your certificate.
All signed letters of request, or applications must include a copy of a valid current PICTURE ID (Driver's License, State Identification Card, Passport, and/or Military Identification Card) of the APPLICANT. DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS.
For example: If you are requesting your child's certificate, include a copy of your own ID since you are the applicant. Enlarge the copy and lighten it as much as possible to ensure it is clear and legible when sent to the State Bureau of Vital Statistics. Signature and relationship or eligibility must be stated. If legal guardian, please include notarized guardianship documents. Some years of Florida birth certificates list only the county of birth and therefore may not be acceptable documentation in obtaining a passport from certain countries. Please check with the country's consulate for passport requirements.
Determine your eligibility (relationship) to receive a birth certificate. You must meet one (1) of the following criteria:
- Be the child named on the certificate AND 18 years of age or older.
- Be the parent, guardian or legal representative of the person named on the certificate,
- Have a court order.
- Full name of child at birth and any subsequent legal name changes
- Date of birth
- City or county of birth
- Full name of parent(s) listed on the record. (including names prior to first marriage, if applicable.)
- Full name
- Relationship to person named on the certificate (parent, self, etc.)
- Mailing address (include city, state and zip code)
- Contact telephone number where you can be reached between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM (EST) Monday through Friday
- Signature of applicant
All letters or applications must include a copy of a valid PICTURE ID (Driver's license, state identification card, passport, and/or military identification card) of the applicant. For example, if you are requesting your child's certificate, include a copy of your own ID since you are the applicant. Enlarge the copy and lighten it as much as possible so that it is clear and readable. DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS. If you are the legal guardian, please include a copy of the notarized guardianship documents.
- Records that have been amended or that require an amendment may require additional processing time.
- Computer certification $9.00 | Normal Processing Time is 3 to 5 Business Days.
- Photocopy certification $14.00 |Requires Additional Processing Time.
- Commemorative Certification $34.00 -Signed by the current Governor and certified by the State Registrar. | Processed within 4 to 6 weeks. Refer to section addressing commemorative certificates.
- Rush Services- Rush orders are given priority processing and require an additional $10 fee. Mark the outside of your envelope "RUSH." Expedited shipping is not included.
Note: The Vital Statistics processing time indicated in step four does not include postal transit time to or from our office. We cannot predict how long the postal delivery will take.
- Standard U.S. Postal Delivery The cost is included in the certificate purchase price.
- Express Delivery - Express service is available only if a pre-paid self-addressed express delivery envelope has been provided by the client.
- Payment by mail -
Make your Check or money order payable to "Vital Statistics".
DO NOT send cash.
- Payment by phone or online by credit card
The Bureau of Vital Statistics cannot accept credit card payments by telephone or postal service and uses the VitalChek® Network as our ONLY recognized vendor to accept mail, phone, fax and internet orders billed to a credit card. (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.) Go to the website or call 1-877-550-7330 to speak with a customer representative. If you experience problems, call the toll free number for assistance. An additional $7.00 service fee is required. Express delivery options are also available.
- Payment in person at the Bureau
Cash, checks, money orders, Visa and MasterCard are accepted.
Bureau of Vital Statistics (Mailing address)
Attn: Vital Records Section
P.O. Box 210
Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042
30.3376904, -81.6593475 N30° 20.2614', W081° 39.5608' (GPS Coordinates)
Lobby hours: M-F 8:00-4:30 Eastern Standard Time