Mission: To protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts
- Nassau Home
- Community Events
- Programs We Offer
- Public Information
- Our Locations
- About Us
Office Of Vital Statistics
Birth and Death Certificates
30 South 4th Street  map to 30 South 4th Street
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
Phone: (904) 548-1800, ext 5202
FAX: (904) 277-7286
The Office of Vital Statistics is responsible for the recording and issuance of Certified Copies of Birth and Death Certificates. Recently, the Nassau County Health Department, Office of Vital Statistics came on-line with the new State E-Vitals System and we can access birth records for anyone born within the State of Florida from 1930 to the present. Some of the early years have now become available, please check with our office.
To protect the privacy of sensitive information and to prevent identify theft, birth certificates are not public records and the cause of death on a death certificate is not public record. As required by state law, we restrict access to these certificates, but they are readily available to the individuals, family members and guardians or beneficiaries. We require request individuals to produce photo identification and/or other documentation before releasing these confidential records or portions of the records.
There are fees associated with obtaining these records. Please see the appropriate areas below for the associated costs.
Currently, our office can only provide death certificates for deaths that occurred in Nassau County. NOTE: In the future, the new E-Vitals system will also provide us access to the death records for anyone who passed away within the State of Florida.
Who can obtain a certified copy of a death certificate?
Without the cause of death listed:
- Anyone may request a copy of a death certificate without the cause of death showing on the certificate
With the cause of death listed:
- To obtain a copy of a death certificate with the cause of death showing on the certificate, you have to be a member of the immediate family. This includes a spouse, brother or sister, son or daughter, grandparent, grandson or granddaughter; or
- Beneficiary of a deceased person’s life insurance policy (must provide documentation); or
- Estate administrator (must provide documentation).
Death Certificate Application (.pdf - 94 kb)
The majority of the times, copies of birth certificates are requested for identification, to prove citizenship and for other purposes. The State Office of Vital Statistics, located at 1217 Pearl Street, Jacksonville, FL, maintains the original copies of the birth records from all counties within the State of Florida. Nassau CHD provides you with a certified certificate that you can legally keep and use.
As stated before, Nassau County Health Department, Office of Vital Statistics, can access birth records for anyone born within the State of Florida from 1930 to the present.Who can obtain a copy of a birth certificate?
- Individuals 18 years of age and older may obtain their own certificate.
- Parents or guardians (who present court documents showing legal custody).
- Attorneys representing children and adolescents under 18. (Documentation must also be provided).
- A valid form of photo identification such as a drivers license, State ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, passport or military ID.
- For mailed or faxed request, please provide readable photocopies.
- A completed copy of the Birth Certificate Application Form (pdf - 116 kb) or Death Certificate Application Form (pdf - 94 kb)
- You will also
need to provide the person’s:
Date of birth or date of death
County of birth
Mother’s full name including maiden name (for birth certificates)
Father’s full name (if applicable on birth certificates)
- If your request is mailed, it will be processed within 2 business days from the day it is received from you.
- If you come in person, your application will be processed immediately and usually takes about 15 minutes to complete.
- Birth Certificates
$12.00 for one certified copy
$5.00 for each additional copy requested at the same time as the original request and on the same person.
- Death Certificates
$7.00 for each certified copy
- We accept cash, checks, money orders or major credit card (except Discover cards). Do NOT send cash by mail.
- All faxed requests must be paid by credit card (Each faxed request must include a legible copy of the credit card, showing the credit card number and expiration date and also a legible copy of a valid photo ID).
- All requests that wish over-night delivery please include a paid over-night envelope with your request or send additional money to cover the over-night fees.
- Visit our main office at 30 South 4th Street in Fernandina Beach, FL. We are open from 8 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday.
- Mail a request
Office of Vital Statistics
Nassau County Health Department
PO Box 517
Fernandina Beach, FL 32035
- Fax a request to us at: (904) 277-7286
- Other State's Vital Record Information (Birth, Death, Marriage & Divorce) can be found through the Link to National Center for Health Statistics Website - http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm