Find your CountyAlachua Bradford Citrus Columbia Dixie Gilchrist Hamilton Lafayette Lake Levy Marion Putnam Sumter Suwannee Union
HIV Primary Medical Care
Ryan White Program
Project AIDS Care PAC
Housing Opportunities Program HOP
all 15 Counties
More InformationSupport groups Volunteer opportunities Quick facts Business Respond to AIDS Calendar of events
Opens new window Testing sites locations
Opens new window HIV Counseling and Testing
Opens new window Statistics / case reporting
Opens new window HIV medicines and treatment guide Opens new window 332Kb pdf HRSA Guide for HIV/AIDS Clinical Care Opens new window Disclosure and HIV prevention Opens new window 74Kb pdf Florida's HIV/AIDS Community Prevention Program Opens in a new window
Florida Department of Health, Bureau of HIV/AIDS
Every 9.5 minutes, someone in the United States becomes infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Over 1 million people in the United States are living with HIV, and of those persons 1 out of 5 do not know that they are infected. Based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2006 an estimated 56,300 Americans became infected with HIV. In the state of Florida, it is estimated that 5,550 Floridians were newly infected with HIV in 2006.
To understand the magnitude that HIV/AIDS has had on Floridians, take a look at some quick facts:
- Florida ranks third in the nation in the number of AIDS cases
- At the end of 2008, 92,738 adults in Florida were living with HIV/AIDS
- Blacks comprise 15% of Florida’s adult population, but represent over half (53%) of the 4,944 AIDS cases and 45% of the 7,503 HIV cases reported in 2008
- At least 1 in 68 black women in Florida are living with HIV/AIDS.
- At least 1 in 44 black men in Florida are living with HIV/AIDS.
- Among adolescent females aged 13-19 who are living with HIV/AIDS, 75% of the 3,571 reported cases are among blacks.
- For 16 consecutive years, HIV/AIDS has been the leading cause of death for black females between the ages 25-44, and is currently the third leading cause of death for black males ages 25-44.
- At least 1 in 22 men who have sex with men (MSM) are living with HIV/AIDS
- MSM account for 44% (46,045) of all 105,500 AIDS cases and 41% (14,672) of all 36, 127 HIV cases reported through 2006.
- Whereas 1 in 29 white MSM are living with HIV/AIDS, 1 in 12 black MSM in Florida are living with HIV/AIDS.
Get connected to other resources and sponsorships by visiting http://www.wemakethechange.com (Opens new window)