The Florida Department of Health in Charlotte County (DOH-Charlotte) is a state agency that is part of
the Florida Department of Health and is governed by Florida Statute
154. The Florida Legislature designed the statute with the intent
that county health departments (CHDs) have a unique partnership
between the state and the counties to meet the public health needs
of the state. To strengthen this partnership the CHDs and the
counties enter into a contractual arrangement which is renewed
Our Philosophy of Doing Business:
DOH-Charlotte employees view you as the owner and customer of
this organization. As such, we always strive to make sure you have a
great experience every time you do business with us. We are always
looking at new and better ways to assure that we all live in a
healthy community. Likewise, we are always looking at how we can
create more public health value for you while making the best use of your time
and keeping costs down.
Department of Health Mission:
To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.
Department of Health Vision:
To be the Healthiest State in the Nation
Department of Health Values:
I nnovation: We search for creative solutions and manage resources wisely.
C ollaboration: We use teamwork to achieve common goals & solve problems.
A ccountability: We perform with integrity & respect.
R esponsiveness: We achieve our mission by serving our customers & engaging our partners.
E xcellence: We promote quality outcomes through learning & continuous performance improvement.
How Mission is Accomplished:
1) Preventing and controlling the spread of acute, chronic, and
2) Assuring ready access to personal healthcare services
3) Monitoring the sanitary status of water and sewage systems,
institutional food service,
group living facilities and other activities that have the potential
to threaten the public’s health.
4) Providing education and resource information
5) Collecting and distributing public health data
6) Developing public health policies; and
7) Preparing for natural and man made disasters, including preparing
for mass prophylactic
clinics, managing and staffing Special Needs Shelters.
Role of Charlotte County Health Department:
Policy Development * Assessment * Assurance
1. Delivering Public Health Services.
2. Public Health Educator.
3. Public Health Regulator.
4. Monitor Public Health trends.
Industry Trends – Public Health:
Essential Public Health Services:
1. Monitor health status to identify community health problems.
2. Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in
3. Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
4. Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health
5. Develop policies and plans that support individual and community
6. Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure
7. Link people to needed personal health services and assure the
provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
8. Assure a competent public health and personal healthcare
9. Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal
and population-based health services.
10. Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health