Environmental Health Services Index | Food Hygiene
The Florida Department of Health in Columbia County regulates and inspects several types of food service establishments, including:
- Bars & lounges that do not prepare food
- Theater snack bars
- Civic/Fraternal organizations
- Hospital & Nursing home food service facilities
- Schools & Day Care facilities
- Assisted living facilities for the elderly & disabled
- Summer school food service programs
- Prison and detention facility kitchens
These facilities are regulated under Chapter 64E-11, Florida Administrative Code, and are inspected quarterly in most cases. Inspections consist of health and safety checks for proper handling, storage and preparation of foods, adequate refrigeration temperatures, proper cleaning and sanitizing of utensils, work areas and equipment, and prevention of cross-contamination (keeping raw meats separate from other unprepared foods). Inspections also look for contamination by insects and other pests.
The Department of Health does not regulate restaurants -- The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation handles this.
For more information on this program, contact Patty Melgaard at (386) 758-1058.