Environmental Health Services Index | Tanning Salons
The Florida Department of Health in Columbia County monitors the operation of 11 tanning facilities in Columbia County. These facilities are regulated under Florida Administrative Code, Chapter 64E-17. All of the tanning devices (beds and booths) are inspected twice a year. This helps to ensure that:
- the facility itself is being maintained in a sanitary and safe manner
- the beds, bulbs and timers are working properly
- client information records are being kept up-to-date
- warning signs are in locations visible to tanning clients
- all employees of the facilities are properly trained
Tanning salon operators must successfully complete a State of Florida-approved certification course before applying for an annual operating permit from the Health Department. The annual operating permit fee is $150 for the first tanning device, and $55 for each additional device up to a maximum of $315.
For more information about permitting requirements, please contact Sallie Ford at (386) 758-1058.