Florida Birth and Death records are now filed electronically and certifications can be issued statewide from any Florida County Health Department. These computer certifications are accepted by all State and Federal agencies and used for any type of travel.
- Birth Certifications (computer) 1917 to present
- Death Certifications (computer) 2009 to present
Birth and Death certifications for years prior to those listed above can be obtained from:
Bureau of Vital Statistics
PO Box 210
Jacksonville, Florida 32231
Web address: www.flhealth.gov
Florida Birth Certifications are confidential and can only be issued to:
- Registrant (name on record) if of legal age (18)
- Parent(s) listed on the birth record
- Legal Guardian
- Legal REpresentative
- Other person
*Note: Must provide valid photo ID; guardianship papers, or notarized affidavit, or recorded/certified copy of court order.
Anyone may request a Florida Death Certification without cause of death information. Cause of death information is confidential in Florida and can only be issued to the following:
- Decedent's spouse or parent
- Decedent's child, grandchild, or sibling, if of legal age (18)
- Any person who provides a will, insurance policy or other document that demonstrates his or her interest in the estate of the decedent
- Any person who provides documentation that he or she is acting on behalf of any of the above named persons.
Request for a death certification that includes the cause of death information requires a valid photo ID and must state the qualifying eligibility, or a notarized Affidavit to Release Cause of Death Information which is available upon request.
Listed below are acceptable forms of valid identification:
- Driver's License
- State Identification Card
- Military Identification Card
- $12.00 one certified copy
- $5.00 each additional certified copy*
*Note: requested at the time when purchasing the original request on same person.
- $$7.00 each certified copy
Download and print the Death Certificate Application form
Location and Office Hours
Florida Department of Health in Columbia County, Vital Statistics
217 NE Franklin Street
Lake City, Florida 32055
Monday - Friday
8:00a.m. - 4p.m.
Vital Statistics Staff
Mark Lander, Local Registrar
Willie Dean Mayo, Chief Deputy Registrar
Shomari Bowden, Deputy Registrar
Brenda Brown, Deputy Registrar
All links open in new windows
CDC Vital Statistics Information for births or deaths in another state