General Tobacco Information | Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT) | Smoking Cessation For Adults | Tobacco Free Partnership
Tobacco Control - General Info
Our Mission:To increase awareness of the dangers of tobacco use.
- Prevention - reduce the number of youth who begin using tobacco by empowering youth and adults in anti-tobacco advocacy and policy making through education and training
- Environment - eliminate second hand smoke exposure in the community
- Cessation - decrease the number of youth and adults who are using tobacco
- Increase awareness of key tobacco issues
- Engagement in the Policy Process regarding tobacco issues
- Promote tobacco cessation
- Create, maintain and improve effective tobacco control organizations
- Cigarette smoking is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States.
- An estimated 28,700 Floridians die each year from smoking related causes.
- More than 2.5 million Floridians, 17.5% of the adult population, are current cigarette smokers.
- Each day more than 3,450 young people between 12 and 17 years of age smoke their first cigarette and 850 become daily smokers.
- More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.
- A smoker inhales only 15% of the smoke from a cigarette; the other 85% becomes second-hand smoke.
- Children exposed to second hand smoke have more asthma attacks, sinus & ear infections, allergies, bronchitis, pneumonia and croup.
- Smoking decreases a person's life expectancy anywhere from 7 to 20 years.
- Cigarette smoking during pregnancy can result in low birth weight babies.
- Smoking has been associated with infertility, miscarriages, tubal pregnancies, infant mortality and childhood morbidity.
- Additionally, cigarette smoking may cause long-term learning disabilities.
- Each day 88 Floridians die as a result of tobacco use.