REQUEST A BIRTH CERTIFICATE
For births or deaths occurred within the state of Florida you may apply for a certificate in person or mail in your application.
Location and mail in address
Hernando County Health Department
7551 Forest Oaks Boulevard
Spring Hill, FL 34606
(352) 540-6800 x82110
| Service Hours
- 4:30 PM
Monday through Friday
The first step is to determine your eligibility (relationship) to receive a birth certificate.
|Birth Certificates can be issued to
- Person named on the certificate AND over 18 years old
- Legal guardians (with proper documentation, i.e., driver's license, photo ID, guardian paperwork, etc.)
Birth Certificates are needed for
- Admission to public school
- Obtain a driver’s license
- Obtain work permit
- Right to vote
- Eligibility for retirement
- Social Security benefits
- Prove citizenship
- Obtain public assistance for dependent children
- $12.00 for the first copy
- $10.00 for additional copies for the same person purchased at the same time (Effective November 1, 2008)
- $ 3.00 Plastic protective sleeve
- Walk-In applications fees are payable either in cash, VISA or Mastercard, personal check, money order or cashier’s check.
- Mailed-In applications fees are payable either by personal check, money order or cashier’s check only. (Please do not send cash by mail). Personal Checks/Money Orders/Cashier’s checks should be made payable to Hernando County Health Department.
Hernando County Application for a Florida Birth Record (English) (PDF - 32KB)
Hernando County Application for a Florida Birth Record (Spanish) (PDF - 35KB)
|Requirements for issuing birth certificates
- Applicant’s relationship to the person (registrant) named on the certificate
- Applicant’s PICTURE ID (such as a valid driver’s license, state identification card, passport or military identification card). A photocopy of your PICTURE ID is required for mail-in applications
- Registrant’s full name at birth, date and place of birth, mother's maiden name, and father's name
- Applicant’s full name, address and telephone number(s)
- Applicant’s signature (parent’s, legal guardian’s or legal representative’s signature if the person named on the birth certificate is under 18) IS REQUIRED
You may also apply on the internet at www.vitalrec.com.
*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Acrobat Reader may be required to view these files.
top of page
Notice of Privacy Practices * Aviso de Prácticas de Privacidad * Privacy Statement Disclaimer * Accessibility Information * Email Advisory