Research shows that over the past 30
years, childhood obesity has more than tripled.
From the 2009 Youth Risk Behavior Survey for Florida High School
Students: 10% were obese (students who were ≥ 95th percentile for body
mass index, by age and sex, based on reference data).
Compared to other states, Florida is ranked # 17 in terms of having the
most overweight/obese children: 33.1% of Florida's children are
overweight or obese.
The number one killer of Americans is heart disease, and diabetes is
increasing. Both of these diseases are linked to being overweight or
With the above statistics in mind, the Walton County Health Department
has an Environmental Health Specialist who is offering "Garden
in a Bucket" presentations to schools. We are hoping that learning
how to grow fruits and vegetables will encourage students to eat more
fruits and vegetables and to consume less high fat, high sugar empty
calorie foods. Please contact Natalie Keith 850-892-8015 x1167 with any
questions that you might have. Please contact Ewa Bearden at
850-892-8021 x1137 to schedule your "Garden
in a Bucket" presentation.
Obesity Epidemic and United States Students
Your Weight Matters
Baba Ganoush - the Best in the World!
Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: 35 mins
1 large eggplants
1/4 cup tahini, plus more as needed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more as needed
1 pinch ground cumin
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup brine-cured black olives, such as kalamata
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill.
2. Preheat an oven to 375°F.
3. Prick the eggplant with a fork in several places and place on the
grill rack 4 to 5 inches from the fire.
4. Grill, turning frequently, until the skin blackens and blisters and
the flesh just begins to feel soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Transfer the eggplant to a baking sheet and bake until very soft, 15
to 20 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and peel off and discard the
7. Place the eggplant flesh in a bowl.
8. Using a fork, mash the eggplant to a paste.
9. Add the 1/4 cup tahini, the garlic, the 1/4 cup lemon juice and the
cumin and mix well.
10. Season with salt, then taste and add more tahini and/or lemon juice,
11. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and spread with the back of a
spoon to form a shallow well.
12. Drizzle the olive oil over the top and sprinkle with the parsley.
13. Place the olives around the sides.
14. Serve at room temperature.
Serving Size: 1=1/4 cup or 4 Tablespoons:
Calories 103.5,Calories from Fat 65, Total Fat 7.2g,Saturated Fat 1.0g,
Sugars 2.4 g, Sodium 10.0mg, Total Carbohydrate 9.0g, Dietary Fiber
4.1g, Sugars 2.4 g,