What is Florida KidCare?
Florida KidCare is the State’s Child Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) for uninsured children. It is made up from these four programs:
- Children’s Medical Services (CMS) (Special Medical Needs)
- Medicaid (Age Birth to 18)
- MediKids (Age 1-4)
- Healthy Kids (Age 5-18)
Who is eligible for Florida KidCare?
Children are eligible if they:
- Do not have health insurance or currently on Medicaid AND
- Are under age 19 AND
- Are U.S. citizens or qualified non-citizens AND
- Are not a dependent of a state employee eligible for health insurance
- Meet income eligibility
- Are not in a public institution
What does it cost?
- For children eligible for coverage through Medicaid, there is no cost
- Other eligible children will have a small monthly premium of $15 or $20 per month. The premium covers all eligible children in household, no matter how many children there are
- Eligible families with children covered by Healthy Kids also pay small co-payments of $5 to $10 for some medical services, such as prescriptions
What services are available through Florida KidCare?
All Florida KidCare programs use selected doctors, hospitals, therapists, or health plans to provide services. Children are assigned to a doctor and must go there for medical care. Some of the services in network are:
- Doctor visits
- Hearing screening
- Vision screening
- Hospital stays
- Dental services
How to Apply
Application and instructions are available in at the KidCare Website. Online applications are being accepted year round.
NOTE: Applications must be printed on 8 1/2 X 14 inch (Legal size) paper.
- Applications and renewals for child health care coverage now require proof of income. Beginning with your child's next renewal, you will be asked to provide proof of income, so save these documents (Family Checklist, below). You will also be asked if your employer offers health insurance coverage for your children and how much it costs. But don't worry -- coverage will still be available for your children. Now, when your child turns 19, help is available to find other coverage and services.
- Account status is now available online
- Payments can be done online
Family Checklist - What will you need to have handy?
- Your family's most recent tax return (Form 1040)
- Your Wage and Earning Statement (W-2 Form)
- Current Pay Stubs (covering one entire month)
- The cost to add your child or children to health insurance coverage if your employer offers it.
- Florida KidCare Insurance Access Statement
What will happen?
About two months before your child's renewal date, you will receive a letter (English or Spanish) from Healthy Kids
that includes a form with most of your current information already filled out. You will need to complete the income
information on the form, SIGN IT and return it with proof of income.
It is very important that you respond to the renewal letter and provide the needed information in a timely manner. Project Pathfinder staff will contact you if there are any questions about your form or if we have not heard from you. Automated phone calls to your home may also be made if we don't hear from you. Be sure to get the forms in on time because your child's health is important.
Please contact the toll-free customer service department at 1-800-821-5437 to update your account information or make any account changes. All account updates and changes must be done through customer service.
For more information...
Questions about current accounts must call Healthy Kids toll free at 1-800-821-5437 or see the KidCare Website.