Calendar       Espaρol / other languages



Hours of Operation 

Jump to
 •  What is Environmental Health?
Septic Systems
 •  Healthy Beaches

 •  Public Pools
 •  Limited Use Wells
 •  Food Hygiene
 •  Group Care
 •  Mobile Home / RV Park
 •  SUPER Act
 •  Sanitary Nuisance
 •  Tanning Facilities
 •  Animal Bites
 •  Food & Waterborne Illness




What is Environmental Health - image of tall grass in water

The Okaloosa County Health Department's (OCHD's) Environmental Health branch is dedicated to safeguarding and assuring a healthy community. We provide permitting, inspections, and surveillance services.

We are responsible for monitoring conditions within the community that could present a threat to health and safety of the public.  Through a staff of trained professionals working throughout the community each day, the Environmental Health program has a significant role in monitoring the health status of the community and controlling those problems that may affect health.

Back to TOP




Septic Systems - image of a toilet and a bathroom wall

Environmental Health issues permits for new, repaired, modified, and abandoned septic systems and evaluate existing systems for compliance with all local and state laws and ordinances, as needed.

Learn more about septic system permits, construction permit approvals, final system approvals, and contractor info.

Septic System Application Packages
     *All septic application documents updated July 2013*
     NEW ---------------------------------
New Septic Permit Requirements
     SOIL ONLY -----------------------
Soil Only Requirements
Existing Septic System and Modification Permit Requirements
     REPAIR ----------------------------
Repair Permit Requirements
Septic System Abandonment Permit Requirements

     Search Okaloosa County Septic Tank Permits
     1)  Visit www.ebridgesolutions.com
      2)  Log-in using
           GUESTS as the "User Name"
           GUESTS as the "Password"
           OKALOOSACHD as the "File Cabinet"

     3)  Once logged in, click the "RETRIEVE" button (upper left corner) to search Okaloosa County septic tank permits

Back to TOP




Healthy Beaches - image of a Destin beach

Environmental specialists test the waters of 13 Okaloosa County beaches each week. Depending on the bacteria levels, a swimming advisory may be issued and posted signs are used to advise the community and tourists.  Learn more about the program...

>>  Water Quality Results
See the most recent Healthy Beaches test results

>>  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Get answers to your questions about Healthy Beaches and water quality monitoring

>> TEST SITE Locations
      GoogleMap images & beach addresses

>> SIGN Locations
      GoogleEarth images of the signs on the tested beaches

Back to TOP

Septic Systems - mosaic tiles on the bottom of a pool

Healthy pools mean healthy swimming.
  Learn how to tell if you're swimming in a healthy pool.

Environmental Health inspects & permits over 480 public pools & spas in motels, condo/apartment complexes, health clubs, schools, and mobile home parks in our community, at least twice each year. Each site must comply with state standards for pool construction, maintenance, water quality, and safety equipment.

•  State Level Public Swimming Pools and Bathing Places Homepage
•  CDC's Disinfection and Remediation Guidelines
•  Florida Pool Inspection Database

•  Current Inspection Information

Search Okaloosa County Swimming Pool Plans
  Visit www.ebridgesolutions.com
      2)  Log-in using
           Public as the "User Name"
           Public as the "Password"
           OKALOOSA Plans as the "File Cabinet"

     3)  Once logged in, click the "RETRIEVE" button (upper left corner) to search Okaloosa County Swimming Pool Plans

Back to TOP




Limited use wells - photo of a sink faucet

This program regulates Limited Use Public Water Systems (public water systems which are not covered by the Safe Drinking Water Act), multi-family water systems, and private water systems. Definitions for these systems and statutory authorization to regulate them are found in section 381.0062 of the Florida Statutes. Chapter 64E-8 of the Florida Administrative Code establishes the rules to implement the statutes. It includes setback standards for private water systems, construction standards for multi-family water systems, and construction and operation standards for limited use public water systems.

     Limited Use Wells Application Package

Back to TOP




Food Hygiene - photo corner of tray, plate, and spoon

The OCHD’s Environmental Health Branch monitors the food operations located in some institutional settings (ex: schools and correctional facilities), civic & fraternal organizations, theaters (that limit their menu to drinks, candy, popcorn, hotdogs, and nachos), bars, and lounges that don't prepare food.

The Florida Department of Children & Families (850-833-3788) monitors the food operations in daycares.

  • For current food hygiene inspections, visit:  www.myfloridaeh.com/ephdata/food_hygiene.
• For current food hygiene restaurant inspections, visit:  www.myfloridalicense.com.

The Department of Business and Professional Regulation (1-850-487-1395) handles the inspection of restaurants. Agriculture and Consumer Services (1-800-435-7352) regulates grocery and convenience stores.

Food Service Application Package

Back to TOP




Group Care Facilities - image of multi-color paper dolls

Environmental Specialists conduct safety and sanitation inspections on private homes and businesses where children, the elderly, or mentally handicapped persons may be placed.

Index to Group Care Facilities

Group Care Facility Licensing

Back to TOP




Mobile Home & RV Parks - image of mobile homes in a row

Environmental Health issues annual operating permits to Mobile Home/RV
(Recreational Vehicle) Parks, campgrounds, & recreational facilities. The site, water supply, sewage/garbage disposal, sanitary facilities, maintenance, and pest control are inspected twice a year.

For current inspection information, visit: http://www.floridahealth.gov/reports-and-data/eh-tracking-and-reporting/mobile-home-rv-parks.html

Mobile Home / Recreational Vehicle Park Application Package

Back to TOP




SUPER Act - image of fuel pumps

Leaking petroleum storage tanks can contaminate the ground, and the groundwater we drink. Environmental health inspectors conduct site visits to ensure that storage tanks meet the required standards, and that new tanks are built with state of the art equipment.

The State Underground Petroleum Environmental Response Act (SUPER Act), provides funds to investigate and clean up leaking gasoline storage tanks. When a leak is suspected, a specialist will take water samples from surrounding wells to determine if the water has been contaminated.

Petroleum Surveillance Program (Super ACT)

Back to TOP




Sanitary Nuisances - image of a winged insect floating on green water

Environmental Health investigates nuisance complaints from the public which involve septic problems such as sewage on the ground, abandoned swimming pools, improper disposal of garbage, or other concerns about unsanitary conditions. To submit a complaint, call 850-833-9247.

Back to TOP




Tanning Facilities - image of a tanning bed

Environmental Health performs semi-annual facility inspections for tanning facilities. These inspections ensure proper bulb maintenance, verify proper operation of beds/timers, guarantee proper bed sanitation, etc.

•  2010 Florida Statutes - Tanning
•  Correspondence Courses
•  Tanning Facility Injury Report


Tanning Facilities Application Package

Back to TOP




Animal Bites - image of a dog's teeth through an iron fence

Animal bites or injuries require immediate attention and possibly a visit to a doctor or emergency room because domesticated and feral animals can transmit a large number of diseases to humans. Special attention and urgency should be given to injuries involving small children (up to 2 yrs old) or injuries located above the neck and shoulders (i.e. face bites).

Even though only animal injuries requiring rabies treatment are reportable to the Florida Department of Health, all animal bites should be reported to OCHD.

If the bite is from a cat, dog, or ferret, Environmental Health staff is responsible for attempting to locate the animal and making sure it is kept in observation at the owners’ home or the local animal control facility for a 10-day quarantine. The bite report is then forwarded to the Disease Surveillance staff for evaluation.

you need to report an animal bite, contact OCHD Environmental Health at (850) 689-7859.
  •  Rabies Exposure Report


Learn more about: how rabies is transmitted, which animals are most likely to be rabid, symptoms and diagnoses, prevention measures, World Rabies Day, and medical advancements in this video series.

Opens New Window - Video player screen showing kittenLinks are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only;  they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Florida Department of Health of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual.  The Florida Department of Health bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links.  Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.


Special Rabies Vaccination Event

Back to TOP



Food and Waterborne Diseases - image of bacteria under a microscope

>> Need to report a problem with food/water in Florida?  Click here.

>> If you suspect that food is contaminated or has made you or someone you know sick,
fill out this complaint form.

Back to TOP





  This page was updated on 2-Jul-14

Florida Department of Health - Opens New Window Florida Charts. Community Health Assessment Resource - Opens New Window

People First - Opens New Window

Tobacco Free Florida.com  - Opens New Window Florida KidCare - Opens New Window
Privacy Statement Disclaimer Email Advisory