Calendar       Español / other languages



Return to Vital Statistics HOME

Jump to
•  Frequently Asked Questions
•  Order a Record
•  Amendments
•  Commemorative Birth Certificates
•  Katherine's Law
Putative Father Registry

•  Apostille Birth Certificates



Frequently asked question; magnolia flower image

Q.  How do I obtain a birth certificate? 
A.  Complete this Birth Certificate Application, then place your order using one of the methods below.

Q.  How much does a birth certificate cost?
A.  The cost for a copy is $10.

Q.  What years of birth certificates can be obtained?
A.  Certificates of birth occurring within the State of Florida are available from 1930 to present.

Q.  What if I need someone else to receive a birth certificate for me?
A.  Use this form (DH 1958) to name another person to receive a birth certificate for you.

Q.  Can I pay for a birth certificate with a credit card?
A.  Credit card orders are accepted 24 hours a day, 7 days week through the VitalChek website, or by calling 1-877-550-7330 for VitalChek's automated voice system  (NOTE:  VitalChek charges a $5 processing fee.)  You can also use a credit card at the Vital Statistics Office.  Credit card orders always require a copy of a valid photo ID, which can be faxed to 850-833-9275, if necessary.

Q:  I need a record for someone who was not born in Florida.  How can I request such?
Anyone born on a United States (US) military installation abroad who needs a copy of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-240) should request a replacement of the certificate through the US Department of State.  If the child was not born on an overseas military installation, view the CDC's "Where to Write for Vital Records" document to learn more.

Q.  Where is the Okaloosa County Health Department located?  How can I reach the Vital Statistics office?
A.  We are located at 221 Hospital Dr NE in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.  The Vitals Statistics' phone number is  850-833-9255, and their fax is (850) 833-9275.

Q. Are there other locations where I can obtain a birth certificate?
A. Yes. Birth certificates may also be obtained through the Okaloosa County Tax Collector’s Offices only at these locations: Fort Walton Beach, Crestview, Niceville and Destin. Certificates sold through the Tax Collector’s Offices are only issued to a certificate holder who is at least 18 years old or to the parent listed on the certificate. The cost is $10.00 plus an additional surcharge of $6.25 per applicant. The Tax Collector’s Office offers walk-in services only.

Back to TOP


Place an order; image of hand on computer mouse

Applications are accepted in person at our Fort Walton Beach facility. 
221 Hospital Dr NE
Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548

View our hours of operation.

> > If you have a question about your form of identification, please check with our office.


•  Require completed application and payment by check, money order, or credit card
•  Require a notarized copy of valid photo ID (NOTE:  must be done by a US notary)
•  Mail requests to Okaloosa County Health Department, 221 Hospital Drive NE, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548.  Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
•  You may use this Birth Certificate Release Affidavit (DH 1958) form to name another person to receive a birth certificate for you.
   NOTE:  Under current Florida Statutes, only the following people may receive birth certificates:
1. Person listed on the birth record and is over 18 years old
   2. Parents listed on the birth record
   3. Individual/agency who is listed as guardian on the birth record and MUST provide certified/notarized documentation of guardianship

FAX ORDERS through the Vital Statistics Office

Require completed application and a notarized copy of a valid photo ID (NOTE: must be done by a US notary).  Fax items to the Okaloosa County Health Department at (850) 833-9275.

•  All fax orders must be paid by credit card

PHONE, ONLINE, & FAX ORDERS through VitalChek
Please note: Florida Department of Health does not accept credit cards for online orders, however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service, VitalChek Network, Inc. Major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard®, and Visa®.

Opens New Window - VitalCheck logo; Express Certificate Service, a ChoicePoint Company 

VitalChek Phone:  1-877-550-7330
Credit card orders will be accepted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through the VitalChek network (automated voice system).  A $5 VitalChek fee is required.

VitalChek Fax:  1-877-550-7428
If ordering by fax, a $5 VitalChek fee is required.  Allow 2-3 days for processing.
NOTE:  Certifications of birth cannot be faxed.

Back to TOP



Amendments; image of a white 'x' on a blue wall

If a birth record contains errors, it may be possible to correct the record. Depending on the type of correction and the age of the registrant, documentary evidence may be required to support the correction. If the correction is to the name of a minor child, the signatures of both parents, if listed on the original birth record, are required. A non-refundable fee of $20.00 (which includes one certification of the record) is required by Florida law. All amendments are processed through the State Bureau of Vital Statistics.

•  Instructions for Amending a Certificate of Live Birth
•  Application to Amend:  English / Spanish / Creole
•  Affidavit of Amendment of Certificate of Live Birth

•  Birth Certificate Release Affidavit (DH Form 1958)

Back to TOP



Commemorative Birth Certificates; of sun rays with transparent illegible writing behind it

The State of Florida also issues commemorative birth certificates.  To learn more about ordering, visit the Florida Department of Health's website.

(Click thumbnail to view full size)

Opens New Window - PDF 335.02kb - Traditional Commemorative Birth Certificate    Opens New Window - PDF 296.32kb - Beach Scene Commemorative Birth Certificate   Opens New Window - PDF 302.75kb - Palm Tree Commemorative Birth Certificate
               Traditional                                    Beach Scene                                  Palm Tree

Back to TOP



Katherine's Law; image of yellow pansies

What is Katherine’s Law?
In 2006, Florida's governor signed into law legislation that allows for the issuance of a certification for a Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth. This law, section 382.0085, Florida Statutes, is known as Katherine's Law. Florida is the 14th state to implement such a law.

The Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth is not proof of live birth and may not be used to establish identity. Gestation must be 20 weeks or more, and there must be a fetal death certificate on file with the Florida Office of Vital Statistics in order for a stillbirth certificate to be prepared. The information included on the stillbirth certificate comes from the fetal death certificate.

Issuance is from the State Office of Vital Statistics only; county offices cannot issue this certificate. An informational brochure is available for the funeral director, physician, medical examiner, hospital, and parents.

Back to TOP



Putative Father Registry; image of dad holding child's hand walking on the beach

What is the Putative Father Registry?
The purpose of the Putative Father Registry is to permit a man alleging to be the biological father of a child to assert his parentage, independent of the mother, and preserve his rights as a parent.

A Florida Putative Father Registry Claim is done without the consent or involvement of the mother. The registry is where the putative father claim is filed and recorded. The putative father’s name is not added to the birth record. Should the child be placed for adoption, the putative father must be named a party to the adoption proceedings.

Back to TOP



Apostille certificates; world map image

Apostille birth certificates are those prepared to give to foreign countries.

The following situations are examples of when an Apostille birth certificate could be required.
  • Transferred by your employer to a foreign country
  • Wanting to marry in a foreign country
  • Adopting a child in a foreign country

Need an Apostille Application?  Learn more about the steps you must take to apply for and obtain an Apostille Certificate.

Back to TOP



  This page was updated on 24-Jul-13

Florida Department of Health - Opens New Window Florida Charts. Community Health Assessment Resource - Opens New Window

People First - Opens New Window

Tobacco Free Florida.com  - Opens New Window Florida KidCare - Opens New Window
Privacy Statement Disclaimer Email Advisory