Why is healthy weight a priority for the Department of Health
As we survey the health landscape, we see the #1 public health threat that challenges the bright future of Florida: weight. Currently, only 35% of Floridians are at a healthy weight. One quarter are obese, and the rest are overweight. On our current trend, by 2030, almost 60% will be obese.
The cost of care for chronic diseases from obesity alone - diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and arthritis - are unsustainable, estimated to be $34B over the next 17 years.
Over the next 20 years in Florida, obesity could contribute to: 2,442,415 new cases of type 2 diabetes, 6,188,174 new cases of heart disease and stroke, 5,261,978 new cases of hypertension, 3,266,082 new cases of arthritis, and 869,214 new cases of obesity-releated cancer.
What is involved with Healthiest Weight Florida?
Healthiest Weight Florida was launched in Orlando at the State Surgeon General's Symposium on Healthiest Weight in Juanuary 2013. Through the initiative, the Department of Health is building collaborations and providing assistance to counties, community groups and other partners to implement programs that focus on:
- -Increasing the initiation, duration and exclusivity of breastfeeding.
- -Promoting improved nutrition and physical activity in early care and education.
- -Encouraging improved nutrition in schools.
- -Increasing th ephysical activity for students during the school day and after school programs.
- -Increasing access to high-quality, affordable foods in communities.
- -Increasing physical activity by improving the built envrionment in communities.
For more helpful links:
|Healthiest Weight Florida: www.HealthiestWeightFlorida.com|
|CDC BMI Information: www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/index.html|
|Choose My Plate (USDA): www.choosemyplate.gov|
|Healthy Refrigerator: www.healthyfridge.org/tips.html|
|Fast Food Restaurant Calories: www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fast-food-chains-restaurants_c-Y2lkPTIx.html|
Back To Top
Page last updated: 6/6/2014