Did You Know?- Drowning is the leading cause of injury death for young children ages 1 to 4.
- 3 children die every day as a result of drowning.
- The highest risk of drowning for both males and females is between ages 1 to 4.
- Florida has the highest accidental drowning death rate (1.14 per 100,000) in the United States for the 1 to 4 year old age group.
The Swim Safe Sumter program has successfully trained 421 students in basic swimming and drowning prevention techniques!
For more information, please call Jan Berry at 352-569-3116
Sumter M.O.M.S. (Making Our Mothers Stronger)
Our new and exciting program is designed for expecting mothers and fathers. It is full of information, guest speakers and things for mom, dad, and baby. Each session has 15 meeting days on Wednesday from 12:00 to 1:00 pm. At the end of each session we hold a Baby Shower for the participants complete with sturdy Baby Bag's full of baby items. A drawing will be held for a new car seat or pack and play. This is free to all expecting Sumter County residents.
The meetings are facilitated by a Sumter County Health Department registered nurse and certified lactation counselor. We use the "What to expect when you're expecting" book, written by, Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel. You will receive a book to take home along with many other types of literature.
Session Topics Include:
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd Trimesters what to expect; Nutrition; Exercise and Oral Care; Prenatal Appointments and Labs;
- Body Changes; Comfort Measures; Immunizations for Baby and Mom; Preterm Labor and Pregnancy Problems;
- Infection Prevention; Safety; Positive Parenting; Tobacco, Alcohol and Drugs during Pregnancy; Post Partum;
- Appointment and Problems; Breastfeeding all you ever wanted to know; SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome);
- Domestic Violence and Shaken Baby Syndrome; Car Seat Safety and CPR for Infants and Children
Guest Speakers from:
- WIC (Women Infants & Children)
- Healthy Start
- Hope Pregnancy Center
- The Haven
- Children's Advocacy Center
- Langley Health Services
If you or someone you know in Sumter County has a new little one coming, you won't want to miss this program. For more information contact us at our clinic.
Page last updated: 10/28/2013