State Funding Opportunities:
The Florida Office of Rural Health provides a number of grants from federal funds to Florida’s small rural hospitals and other rural entities to improve the financial and quality performance of rural health services. Those grants include:
- Performance Improvement grants to critical access hospitals to support financial and quality improvements;
- Rural trauma team training grants for rural hospitals;
- Grants to rural health networks to improve quality and access to health services;
- Community needs assessment grants to rural county health departments;
- Scholarships to train emergency medical technicians and Paramedics in rural counties;
- Rural EMS clinical and administrative training; and
- Small Rural Hospital Improvement Program grants to rural hospitals with 49 or less staffed beds;
The Florida Office of Emergency Medical Services also provides grants to rural county emergency medical service providers for equipment and training. For more information go to the EMS Grants webpage.
Federal Funding Opportunities
In addition to those grants provided directly to states, the federal Office of Rural Health Policy (ORHP) provides community based funding opportunities to rural organizations. These include: rural health network planning and development; rural health care services outreach; rural health information technology network development; rural health workforce development; and small healthcare provider quality improvement. Information about rural health grant opportunities can be found on the ORHP webpage. To determine whether a particular area or address is eligible for a federal rural health grant, go to the Rural Health Grants Eligibility Analyzer webpage.
Funding opportunities for rural areas are also available from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Development program. The Community Facilities Grant and Loan Programs fund the development of essential community facilities for public use in rural areas and may include hospitals, fire protection, safety, as well as many other community-based initiatives. More information is available at USDA Community Development webpage.
The central website for information about all federal grant opportunities and announcements is available at Grants.gov.
Additional information about rural health and human services funding opportunities is available at the Rural Assistance Center.
Florida Department of Health
Office of Rural Health
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C-15
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1735
PH: (850) 245-4446
FX: (850) 922-6296