skip to sub-navigation skip to content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.

skip to sub-navigation skip to content

Military Spouses

Temporary License for Military Spouse

Valid for one year: Non-renewable
As a spouse of an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States you may be issued a temporary license to practice your health care profession in Florida. The purpose of s. 456.024(3), Florida Statutes, was to allow the spouse of an active duty military member who is assigned to a duty station in Florida the opportunity to work in his/her respective profession. If the spouse desires to practice beyond the expiration of the “temporary license,” we recommend beginning the regular licensing application process as soon as possible. A temporary military spouse license is valid for one year.

To qualify for a temporary license, your spouse must be on active duty and assigned to a duty station in Florida and you must hold a valid license as a health care professional in another state, the District of Columbia, any United States territory or possession, or a foreign jurisdiction.

Application Requirements:
  • Download a printable application (pdf)
  • Pay required fees as indicated on the application
  • Proof of marriage to an active duty member of the Armed Forces – a copy of your military dependent ID card can serve as proof.
  • Proof of the spouse’s active duty assignment in Florida  - a copy of your spouse’s military orders that reflect an active duty assignment in Florida
  • Proof of current and valid licensure to practice the desired profession in another state
  • National Practitioner Data Bank Report
  • Effective January 1, 2013, applicants for initial licensure must use a LiveScan service provider to submit a set of fingerprints to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) for the purpose of conducting a search for any Florida and national criminal history records that may pertain to applicant. The results of the search will be returned to the Care Provider Background Screening Clearinghouse and made available to the Department for consideration during the licensure process. The fingerprints submitted by the applicant will be retained by FDLE and the Clearinghouse. All costs for conducting a criminal history background screening are borne by the applicant.It is important to use the correct Originating Agency Identification (ORI) when submitting fingerprints. If you do not provide an ORI number or if you provide an incorrect ORI number to the service provider, the board office will not receive your fingerprint results, so it is extremely important to use the correct ORI when having your fingerprints scanned.Applicants can use any FDLE approved LiveScan service provider to submit their fingerprints. The applicant is fully responsible for selecting the service provider and ensuring the results are reported to the Department.  If you are applying for initial licensure after December 15, 2012, You must print this form (pdf) and take it with you to a Livescan service provider. For more information, FAQs, and a list of all approved Livescan service providers please visit the Department’s website.
  • Proof the applicant is otherwise qualified to receive a full license in the profession or is eligible to take the Florida licensure examination for that profession.  To demonstrate eligibility the applicant must complete the full licensure application for the profession and submit all supporting documentation required by that application (with the exception of fees or other documentation that may be duplicative).  The full licensure application may be obtained by using the dropdown list above.

Renewal Exemption

A spouse of an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States may be exempt from all license renewal requirements as long as the licensee is absent from the state because of his/her spouse’s active duty assignment.

To receive an exemption from the renewal requirements, mail a copy of your spouse’s orders which provides the beginning and end date of their current enlistment to:

Department of Health
Division of Medical Quality Assurance
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C-10
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3260

If your spouse is a Commissioned Officer, you may provide a letter from his/her commanding officer that reflects the length of their contract with a beginning and end date to fulfill this requirement.

Upon your spouse returning to civilian life, you will be asked to submit a copy of their DD-214 form to department to change your license status from a Military Active status license to a Clear Active status license. For more information on these provisions, please call the department’s Customer Contact Center at (850) 488-0595.