Health And Safety Tips For Memorial Day Weekend
May 22, 2015
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 22, 2015
Contact: Communications Office
TALLAHASSEE—Memorial Day is an opportunity to pause and honor those who have sacrificed their lives in service to our country. For many, it also marks the unofficial start of summer, and the Florida Department of Health encourages residents and visitors to make healthy and safe choices during the summer season.
"This Memorial Day, we remember the sacrifices of the brave men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country," said State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. John Armstrong. "In honor of their memories, I urge residents and visitors to enjoy their freedom to make healthy choices this weekend and throughout the summer season. Together, we can make Florida the healthiest state in the nation."
The department offers a few tips for enjoying Memorial Day weekend and for enjoying a happy and healthy summer:
- Enjoy Florida's natural beauty by going for a walk, swim or bicycle ride;
- Use high SPF sunscreen to protect you and your family from harmful UV rays that cause sunburn and skin cancer;
- Make sure to drink plenty of water when soaking up the sun or exercising outside;
- Practice water safety and never leave a child unsupervised near a pool or body of water;
- Enjoy Fresh from Florida fruits and vegetables when preparing meals for your friends and family;
- When grilling, choose leaner meats and marinate them to enjoy the flavor without the fat; and
- Practice food safety by storing food properly to prevent the growth of bacteria that can lead to food poisoning.
The department works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.