It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Get Ready to Grill Safely
May 16, 2018
With the official start of summer just around the corner, all Floridians and visitors are thinking about fun activities that include being outdoors in our great state! This National Barbecue Month, plan family get-togethers, work luncheons or some quality time with friends while also remembering to practice grill safety.
The Florida Department of Health suggests that all grill masters follow these tips for outdoor BBQs:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors;
- The grill should be placed away from the home or deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches;
- Children and pets should be at least three feet away from the grill area;
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease and fat buildup from the grates and trays below; and
- Never leave your grill unattended.
For more tips from National Fire Protection Association, download their educational tip sheet!
You can also get ideas for healthy grilling recipes from Fresh for Florida.