Disability and Health Program
Seven Goals of the Disability and Health Program
The Disability and Health Program (DHP) uses the seven goals that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has created to plan its activities and measure their success. The seven goals are:
- Enhance Program Infrastructure and Capacity
- Improve State Level Surveillance and Monitoring Activities
- Increase the Awareness of Health-Related Disability Policy Initiatives
- Increase Health Promotion Opportunities for People with Disabilities to Maximize Health
- Improve Access to Health Care for People with Disabilities
- Improve Emergency Preparedness among People with Disabilities
- Effectively Monitor and Evaluate Program Activities
People with disabilities need health care and health programs for the same reasons anyone else does—to stay well, active, and a part of the community. To be healthy, people with disabilities require health care that meets their needs as a whole person, not just as a person with a disability. Most people with or without disabilities can stay healthy by learning about and living healthy lifestyles. Disability and Health: A Guide for Floridians is a tool to assist persons with disabilities to get the best health care possible. A Spanish version of the guide is also available.
- Physical Activity& Fitness: These tips provide recommendations for how much physical activity are needed by different age groups and suggestions for ways to keep fit and physically active. Links to helpful websites are included.
- Healthy Eating & Healthy Weight: These tips provide information about making healthy food choices, the different food groups, examples of healthy meal portions and easy ways to remember how to choose the right amount of food. Links to helpful websites are included.
The Disability and Health Program has developed three videos for persons with disabilities, their families and caregivers, and those who work with them, and they are available on YouTube. Each 20 minute video focuses on a different aspect of health. These videos can be watched in any order.
Disability Community Planning Group
The DHP has created a Disability Community Planning Group (DCPG) made up of Floridians who are persons with disabilities, parents and caregivers of persons with disabilities, and professionals who work with or provide services to persons with disabilities. The DCPG members participate in conference calls with the DHP to talk about health care and health related issues and needs that Floridians with disabilities may have. Anyone who is interested in becoming a member of the DCPG can call 850-245-4444, extension *2961 for more information.
Note: Some materials are in the Portable Document Format (PDF). You will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the files.