It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Family Planning Fact Sheet
Contact the Adolescent and Reproductive Health Section
Adolescent and Reproductive Health Section
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A13
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1721
- Statewide in 2016, 120,962 people received family planning services, including 2,205 men and 118,757 women.
- 68.8% of clients (83,200) had incomes at or below 150% of federal poverty guidelines.
- 7.6% of clients (9,255) were less than 18 years old.
- 56.5% of clients (68,305) were between 18 and 29 years old.
- 35.9% of clients (43,402) were 30 years old or older.
- Every family planning client receives education on how to plan their families and the contraceptive options available to them.
- For every dollar spent in family planning services, an estimated $1.44 is saved as a result of averting expenditures for public programs that support women with unintended pregnancies and their infants.
- Without access to county health department's family planning services, approximately 120,000 clients would receive no health care services. Often, family planning clinics are gateways to the health care system, which ultimately provide screenings and referrals for acute and chronic health problems.
- 39.4% of clients were covered by public insurance, such as Medicaid, and 29.2% were uninsured.
- Family planning clinic services are an integral part of the effort to prevent and treat sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS.
*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Reader may be required to view these files.
Florida Actual versus Expected Teen Births and Repeat Teen Births By County 2017 through 2019 (PDF, 187kB)
November 5, 2020
Florida Actual versus Expected Teen Births and Repeat Teen Births By County 2016 through 2018 (PDF, 186kB)
July 29, 2019
July 24, 2018
October 3, 2017
September 8, 2016
October 9, 2015
September 8, 2014
September 12, 2013
September 10, 2012
January 3, 2012
January 12, 2011
Estimated Medicaid Cost Savings From Florida Department of Health, Family Planning Program (PDF, 22kB)
January 8, 2009