Internship-Environmental Health Minority Internship Program
Deadline for Applications - March 3, 2017
The internship program was created to afford undergraduate minority students an opportunity to participate in a hands-on internship experience and promote their participation in the environmental health field. This position will also provide the participant the opportunity to enhance their job experience, develop or increase responsibility, and the flexibility to change or solidify their current career path in environmental health. Participating in this internship can influence how fast and how far minority students advance in the environmental and public health fields.
In addition, many past participants that have successfully participated in the internship program, have gone on to work in the environmental health field, been hired by a local county health department, or went on to obtain a Master's Degree in Public Health (MPH)
Phase I (Externship)
Phase II (Internship)
A participating county health department (67 counties in FL)
Administrative State Health Office (Tallahassee, Florida)
Time Period: Summer (May - September)
Time Period: Internship Fall and/or Winter (September - March)
You will have the chance to learn the methods of regulation for the following programs:
- Biomedical Waste
- Food Hygiene
- Tanning Facilities
- Group Care Facilities
- Drinking Water Wells
- Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems
- Swimming Pools and bathing areas
- Mobile Home Parks
- Migrant Labor Camps
In order toapply, the applicant must meet each of the following requirements:
- Ethnic minority
- Undergraduate student at an accredited university or college
- United States citizen or permanent resident of the United States and its possessions
- Junior or senior (at the time of application) majoring in physical or natural sciences
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Able to work outdoors
- Valid driver's license
- Reliable vehicle
- Lift minimum of 30 pounds
How To Apply
In order to be granted an interview, one must submit a complete application packet. A complete application packet consists of:
- Completed and Signed application (pdf <1mb, opens in new window)
- One page essay addressing the question, "What are your expectations of this Internship?"
- One Letter of recommendation from school faculty or advisor.
- A copy of their official school transcript showing current grade point average and college courses listed. An unofficial copy may be provided when making initial application. However, if called for an interview an official copy must be provided within five business days of the scheduled interview.
Forms to Download
- EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION (637 kb PDF file)
*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Reader may be required to view these files.
If you have remaining questions, please contact us.
You may also contact phone number 850-245-4444 ext. 2492 with further questions.
Complete application packets can be faxed to 850-487-0864.
Complete application packets can be mailed to :
Department of Health
Facility Programs Section
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A08
Tallahassee, FL 32399
NOTE: To find more information as to programs your local county health department administers, please use the link below to direct you to your local county's environmental health webpage. This link lists all 67 counties where applicants can click on their county and be taken to that county's home webpage.