Research Excellence Initiative
"I really enjoyed the group that was brought together for the class. The experience was a lot of fun and was worth the time and effort. The brain power of the group was impressive . I enjoyed getting to know a little bit about each person and it was interesting to see the different perspectives of public health as it related to each county/department/job."
Class 1 Member
Education, collaboration, innovation
The Research Excellence Initiative is a new year-long education program for Department of Health professionals conducting research, epidemiology, and program evaluation, and will:
- Promote high quality, innovative research at the Department, with the highest regard for research integrity, research ethics, professionalism, and regulatory requirements
- Educate and recognize exemplary Department of Health researchers
- Develop a cadre of experienced researchers who can promote excellence by serving as role models and mentors
- Foster collaborations among Department researchers
- Promote research on Department priorities, including Healthiest Weight and obesity, cancer and other tobacco-related diseases, health disparities/equity, trauma, and substance abuse
All Department employees whose work involves public health research or research-related activities, and who have appropriate qualifications above, are eligible to apply for the Academy. Special consideration will be given to new researchers. Examples of relevant work may include experience with epidemiological investigations, evaluation of public health interventions or programs, and behavioral health or clinical research studies.