It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Fireworks and Food Safety for July 4Th
June 28, 2018
With July 4th weekend coming up, all Floridians and visitors are thinking about fun activities that include being outdoors in our great state! This includes family get-togethers, work luncheons or some quality time with friends while also remembering to practice fireworks and grilling safety.
Each July 4th, thousands of people, most often children and teens, are injured while using consumer fireworks. Despite the dangers of fireworks, few people understand the associated risks - devastating burns, other injuries, fires, and even death. People can enjoy fireworks safely if they follow a few simple safety tips.
For the grill masters that will be cooking outdoors this weekend, the Florida Department of Health suggests these following tips:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors;
- The grill should be placed away from the home or deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches;
- Children and pets should be at least three feet away from the grill area;
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease and fat buildup from the grates and trays below; and
- Never leave your grill unattended.
For more tips from National Fire Protection Association, download their educational tip sheet!
You can also get ideas for healthy grilling recipes from Fresh for Florida: https://www.followfreshfromflorida.com/Follow/s/search/All/Home/grilling.