Skip Global navigation and goto content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.

Skip MegaMenu and goto content
Megamenu requires javascript to be enabled in your browser.

Public Drinking Water Systems in Florida

Contact the Water Programs

  •  850-245-4240



    Mailing Address

    Bureau of Environmental Health, Water Programs 

    4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A-08 

    Tallahassee, FL 32399-1710 

Public Drinking Water Systems in Florida 

Construction and operation of all public water systems in Florida

The Federal Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) applies to systems that provide piped water to 25 or more people 60 days or more out of the year, or have 15 or more service connections. Nationwide, this rule is administered by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). With one exception, they have delegated this responsibility to the individual states. Within Florida, the Department of Environmental Protection is the primary agency responsible for enforcing the SDWA. However, the Florida Department of Health implements the program in six counties. In these six counties (Hillsborough, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, Polk, Sarasota, and Volusia), the County Health Department is responsible for oversight of construction and operation of all public water systems.

Smaller water systems, such as small commercial operations or small rental complexes, may fall under the Limited Use Drinking Water rule.


I live in a house served by a public water system and have a concern with the water. Whom do I contact?

We recommend that you first contact your public water utility. If that does not address the problem, contact the appropriate regulatory agency. For most counties in Florida, oversight of Public Water Systems is the responsibility of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) through their district offices.

However, the DOH and DEP have an agreement that gives the DOH responsibility in six counties. ​ If you live in Miami-Dade, Polk​, Hillsborough, Sarasota, Palm Beach, or Volusia​ County, you should contact your local DOH office.