It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
- What is Heart Disease?
- Risk Factors
- Warning Signs
- Protect Against Heart Disease
- Resources for Health Care Settings
- Resources for Community Organizations
- Resources for Community Health Workers
- Resources for Schools, Colleges, and Universities
- Resources for Worksites
- Heart Health+
- World Heart Day
Protect Against Heart Disease
How can I protect myself and my family?
You can prevent heart disease by practicing healthy living habits and preventing or treating medical conditions. These include:
- Eating a healthy diet
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Getting enough physical activity
- Not smoking
- Limiting alcohol use
- Checking your cholesterol
- Controlling your blood pressure
- Managing your diabetes
- Taking your medicine
- Talking with your health care team1
To learn more about heart disease, its risk factors, and how you can reduce your risk visit the websites listed below:
- American Heart Association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health
- Lifestyle Change Program for Persons with Disabilities
- Guidance for Being Physically Active for Someone in a Wheelchair