Skip Global navigation and goto content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.

Skip MegaMenu and goto content
Megamenu requires javascript to be enabled in your browser.

Locating Specialized Medical Expertise Resources

The adverse health outcomes associated with poor indoor air quality can be minor or severe, short or long term and sometimes it is not obvious why people are feeling ill. Our recommendation is that you discuss your concerns about your health or the health of your loved ones with the primary health care provider first. The primary care provider will seek to provide basic medical diagnostics and a differential diagnosis with the goal of providing effective treatment or management of the illness. 

In some cases, the primary care provider may be uncertain of the cause of the experienced illness. In those cases, your primary care provider may refer you to an appropriate medical specialist (i.e. allergist/immunologist, pulmonologist, pediatrician, ear/nose/throat specialist, environmental/occupational medicine specialist, medical toxicologist, neurologist, infectious disease specialist, etc.) depending on characteristics of the illness. You may also request a referral from your primary care provider should you feel it is necessary.

Although it is not generally recommended by the Department of Health or the medical community, you may decide to seek out a specialist without the recommended input of your primary health care provider. You may find that it can be difficult locating medical specialists in your area. The following links provide resources that you may use for locating such specialists:

American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
Physician Referral Directory

American Academy of Dermatology (link may not work in Internet Explorer)
Find a Dermatologist (link may not work in Internet Explorer)

American Academy of Neurology

American College of Medical Toxicology
Find a Medical Toxicologist

American College of Chest Physicians

American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
ACOEM's Find a Provider

Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics
AOEC Member Clinic directory

Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Directors

American Academy of Otolaryngology
What is an Otolaryngologist? (also known as an ear, nose, and throat specialist or ENT)
Find an ENT near you

American Thoracic Society

Florida Department of Health – Health Care and Medical License Verification

Florida Society of Neurology
Find a Neurologist

Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSUs)
Find PEHSU Experts
Southeast Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit

NOTE:  If you have poisoning questions or emergencies please the Florida’s Poison Control Centers at 1-800-222-1222

 Florida's Poison Control Centers linkPoison Helpline 1-800-222-1222