It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
Application and Resources
Apply for a License
Licenses for tanning facilities are issued by the Department of Health's County Health Departments. The first step to obtaining a tanning facilities license is to contact the Environmental Health Section in the county in which the facility will be operating and consult with an Environmental Specialist in the Tanning Program.
Once you have consulted with the Environmental Health Section, submit all of the necessary paperwork including a drawn plan of the facility, a completed Application for Tanning Facility License, and operating and safety procedures to the County Health Department in which the facility will be operating along with the required license fee. The fee is based on the number of tanning devices in your facility. The County Health Department can help you calculate the correct fee for your facility. Tanning facility licenses are renewed annually.
The plan of the facility should show barrier walls or other devices that will shield the view of waiting customers and passersby from UV light. The plan should also include the location of restrooms. The plan does not have to be an architect or engineer drawing; however, the plan must be drawn to scale. See Rule 64E-17.002, of the Florida Administrative Code, for further guidance.
The following links are pdfs and open in a new window.
- Rule 64E-17, of the Florida Administrative Code
- Section 381.89, Florida Statutes
- 21 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) section 1040.20: The US Federal Code specifying performance standards for sunlamp products and ultraviolet lamps for use in sunlamp products, US Government Printing Office Web Site.
- Approved Tanning Facility Sanitizer Listing
- Medications and Food that cause Photosensitivity
- Tanning Facility Injury Report
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Florida Tanning Facilities Listing Request Form