It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Dietetics and Nutrition Practice Council
Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
30 Hours Total are Required for Dietetics and Nutrition
To locate board approved CE Courses for Nutrition Counselor, please click here.
|Required Subject Area||Required Number of Hours||Important Information|
* Up to 20 hours of credit shall be accepted per biennium for approved home study courses. See 64B8-45.001(2), F.A.C., for definition of “home study education”.
|Medical Error||2||*Pursuant to 64B8-45.001(7) F.A.C., General Requirements, two hours of the required (30) hours per biennium shall relate to prevention of medical errors, including a study of root- cause analysis, error reduction and prevention, and patient safety.|
CE Requirements for First Time Renewal
- Dietitian’s and Nutritionist’s renewing a license for the first time and were licensed in the first year of the biennium are required to complete a total of 30 hours of continuing education in Dietetics and Nutrition which includes 2 hours of medical error and 3 HIV/AIDS.
- Dietitian’s and Nutritionist’s renewing a license for the first time who were licensed in the second year of the biennium are exempt from the continuing education requirements for that biennium as stated in 64B8-45.001, F.A.C. but they are required to complete 2 hours of medical error and 3 HIV/AIDS.
Board Rule Approved Providers 64B8-45.002, F.A.C.
- AMA Liaison Committee for Medical Education
- Public Health Service, state or territorial health services or a branch of the United States Armed Services
- College courses from an approved graduate or undergraduate program accredited by an accrediting agency approved by the United States Department of Education
- Courses approved by any Board within the Division of Medical Quality Assurance which relates to maintaining skills necessary for the safe and competent practice of dietetics and nutrition services
- All other approved courses are listed in CEBroker and can be found at
- Courses offered by or approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration and can be found at https://www.cdrnet.org/go/and/cdr/cpe_search.cfm
Other Methods of Obtaining Continuing Education per Biennium
- Attendance for a minimum of two hours at a public meeting of the Dietetics and Nutrition Practice Council
- Serve as an expert witness
- A lecture or author presenting or authoring for the initial presentation of a Board approved CE Program
- Pro Bono Services
The Department of Health will now verify a practitioners continuing education records in the electronic tracking system at the time of license renewal. Please visit www.CEatRenewal.com for more information. For information on continuing education requirements please review Rule 64B8-45,F.A.C.