It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
National HIV Testing Day
June 26, 2013
Florida is ranked third in total reported cases of HIV/AIDS behind New York and California. The Sunshine State sees approximately 3,500 new HIV infections and 1,000 HIV-related deaths annually, and of the 19 million people living in Florida, 130,000 are living with HIV/AIDS. More troubling still, roughly 20% of these 130,000 don’t know they are infected, meaning they can unknowingly infect others and are not getting the medical treatment crucial to prolonging their life.
What does this mean? We must encourage Floridians to get tested now. Testing can curb the spread of this epidemic and allows those infected to seek the treatment they need. This National HIV Testing Day, inform your community about Florida’s effective HIV testing program, which served over 400,000 Floridians last year. A national leader in HIV testing, Florida offers rapid HIV testing, which provides accurate results in just minutes, at over 100 venues from the Panhandle to the Florida Keys. Take advantage of these services, offered through county health departments, jails, drug treatment facilities, neighborhood outreach, mobile units, and more.
You may be thinking: if there is no cure for HIV/AIDS, why bother? Because knowing your HIV status is crucial to your wellbeing and the wellbeing of those around you. One study suggests that 70 percent of individuals diagnosed take effective steps to ensure they don’t infect their partners. Knowing that you are infected will motivate you to seek medical services essential to extending your life, grant you access to mental and emotional support networks, and provide you information crucial to protecting yourself and those you love.
Take advantage of National HIV Testing Day and get tested today, so you can start working toward a better life tomorrow.
Here is a list of events and free testing sites across the state. Don’t see your county listed? Contact your local county health department for more information.
In observance of National HIV Testing Day, the Florida Department of Health in Martin County will offer free HIV counseling and rapid testing. Results will be available in 15 minutes.
- Screenings will be offered at the Health Departments in Stuart and Indiantown. Wednesday, June 26, 9:00 AM–2:00 PM, 3441 SE Willoughby Blvd., Stuart and Thursday, June 27, 10:00 AM–2:00 PM, 16401 SW Farm Rd., Indiantown. For more information, 772-221-4000 ext. 2130.
DOH in Hillsborough County will be participating along other Community Based Organizations at a health fair hosted by the Walgreens Pharmacy.
- It is located at 2115 E Hillsborough Avenue, Tampa on June 27, 2013 from 2:00 PM–6:00 PM providing free Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis, HIV and Hepatitis screenings. Unfortunately, no Rapid HIV testing or testing for other STDs such as Herpes on this date.
- DOH—Hillsborough will also be providing free STD (Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis, HIV and Hepatitis) screenings at its 1105 E. Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa location on June 28, 2013 from 7:00 AM–4:00 PM. Sorry, no Rapid HIV testing or testing for other STDs such as Herpes on this date.
DOH in Lee County is co-sponsoring Free HIV testing Thursday, June 27:
- 8:00 AM–Noon, Walgreens, 4204 Palm Beach Blvd. Tice
- 1:00 PM–5:00 PM, Lee County Public Library, 2050 Central Ave., Fort Myers
- 10:00 AM–7:00 PM, AIDS Healthcare Foundation, 2231 McGregor Blvd., Fort Myers
DOH in Monroe County has scheduled the following HIV testing clinics during the month of June. No appointment necessary. Testing is free and confidential, with results available in about 20 minutes. For more information on FDOH-Monroe’s HIV prevention program, call 289-2729.
- June 27, 11:00 AM–6:00 PM, Bourbon Street Pub (Garden Bar), 724 Duval Street
- June 27, 9:00 AM–1:00 PM, Gato Building, 1100 Simonton Street
- June 27, 3:00 PM–7:00 PM, Walgreens, 2805 North Roosevelt Boulevard
- June 27, 4:00 PM–8:00 PM, Truman Adult Books and Video, 922 Truman Avenue
- June 28, 3:00 PM–7:00 PM, Walgreens, 2805 North Roosevelt Boulevard
- June 29, 9:00 AM–2:00 PM, Walgreens, 2805 North Roosevelt Boulevard
For a complete list of National HIV Testing Day activities or for more information about HIV/AIDS in Florida, visit www.wemakethechange.com.
Connect with DOH