It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Contact the Florida WIC Program
Bureau of WIC Program Services
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A16
Tallahassee FL 32399
Research has shown that children who are not breastfed have an increased risk of infections and illnesses that include diarrhea, ear infections, pneumonia, asthma, obesity, diabetes, some childhood cancers, learning disabilities, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Studies also show that women who breastfed have a decreased risk of breast and ovarian cancers, diabetes, and osteoporosis. Additionally, breastfeeding can help women lose the extra weight gained during pregnancy. Better health outcomes for both children and women are associated with increasing exclusivity and duration of breastfeeding. For more information, see The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding at www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/breastfeeding/index.html.
Breastfeeding: The Gift that Keeps on Giving
- Breastfeeding helps develop strong mother-child relationships.
- Mothers who breastfeed are healthier, with less risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
- Breastfeeding provides children with the nutrients and immunities for the best physical and mental development.
- Families who breastfeed save money on food, medical bills, and dental care.
- Employers and communities benefit from healthier infants and children and less parent absenteeism from work.
Exclusive Breastfeeding: The Gold Standard for Feeding Babies.
Exclusively Breastfed Babies:
- Do not get sick as often.
- Have fewer allergies.
- Have less chance of becoming overweight or obese.
- Have less chance of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).
- Have lower rates of diabetes, cancer, inflammatory bowel disease and asthma.
Moms Who Breastfeed:
- Feel a special closeness to their babies.
- Have less risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
- Lose their pregnancy weight sooner.
- Save time since there are no bottles to prepare.
- Save money in doctor and hospital visits.