It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
Medical Foster Care
Contact: Florida Health
4052 Bald Cypress Way
Tallahassee, FL 32399
The Medical Foster Care Program is facilitated through the Florida Department of Health, providing foster children with medical conditions an opportunity to receive care within a family setting.
Training and support are provided to foster care parents who give in-home, family-based, and individualized care for children from birth to 21 years with medically complex needs.
It takes a lot to be a medical foster care parent. A lot of hugs. A lot of hard work. A lot of heart. It’s work with purpose and meaning.
Because what you give to a child with needs bigger than your own is the chance to thrive. Yes, there are days of challenge and change. But the rewards outweigh the work when you know you hold the heart of a child in the palm of your hand. And they hold yours too.
Medical foster care parents must be 18 or older with a high school diploma or equivalent. The following are also required:
- Foster care pre-service training and background screening must be complete.
- Medical foster parenting pre-service training must be complete.
- CPR and first aid training must be complete.
- Enrollment as a provider of medical foster care services must be complete.
The Medical Foster Care Program offers medical support both during the initial placement and throughout the child’s stay with their foster parent(s), including:
- Team of healthcare providers, including a pediatrician, nurse and social worker, coordinates care for the children with medical specialists, hospitals, equipment providers, therapists, health facilities, schools, foster care staff, and families.
- 24-hour on-call medical support line is available no matter the time of day or day of the week.
- Home and community visits for assessment and support.
- Referrals for needed resources.