It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
School Health Services Program
The program is a component of the public health system that provides basic health services to all public school students. All 67 counties provide basic school health services.
Services include: health appraisals; nursing assessments; child-specific training; preventative dental screenings and services; vision, hearing, scoliosis, and growth and development screenings; health counseling; referral and follow-up of suspected or confirmed health problems; first aid and emergency health services; assistance with medication administration; and health care procedures for students with chronic or acute health conditions.
The goal of school health services is to ensure that students are healthy, in school, and ready to learn.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Healthy Schools: www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/index.htm
- National Association of School Nurses, Inc: www.nasn.org/advocacy/white-papers
- Public Health and School Nursing: Collaboration to Promote Health
- School Nurses Assess and Address Social Determinants
- School Nurses' Role in Combating Chronic Absenteeism
- Definition of School Nursing: www.nasn.org/nasn/about-nasn/about