It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
National Health Service Corps
The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) is a federal program that provides scholarships or repays the educational loans of primary care physicians and other health care providers (nurse practitioners, physician assistants, dentists and hygienists, mental health professionals and certified nurse midwives) who agree to serve a minimum of two years in a federally designated HPSA.
The NHSC must approve both the health care provider and the placement site. The Primary Care Office provides technical assistance to clinicians and site applicants at the state level prior to application to the National Health Service Corps. The NHSC builds healthy communities by supporting qualified health care providers dedicated to working in areas of the United States with limited access to care.
- What drives our work?
- When do site application cycles open?
- How long is the application cycle?
- What should I do before I apply?
- How will I find out if you approved my site?
- Does the approval period expire?
We want everyone to be healthy.
To do our part:
- We support skilled health care workers.
- We require health care workers to serve in high-need areas. We call these Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs).
A new site application cycle opens every year. The new site application cycle is for sites that:
- Have never been approved for NHSC, including sites that have applied and had their application denied or canceled
- That are currently inactive for NHSC due to expiration or past compliance issues.
- In a typical cycle, you have six to eight weeks to submit your site application.
- NHSC will notify you through the BHW Customer Service Portal.
- NHSC will also send you information on how to post job positions on the Health Workforce Connector.
Yes, with the exception of eligible auto-approved NHSC sites.
If NHSC approves your application, it is valid for three years.
However, your site must remain in an HPSA and continue to meet the NHSC eligibility requirements and qualification factors throughout the approval period
For additional information, visit the National Health Service Corps' web page at www.nhsc.hrsa.gov