It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Research Excellence Initiative
"I really enjoyed the group that was brought together for the class. The experience was a lot of fun and was worth the time and effort. The brain power of the group was impressive . I enjoyed getting to know a little bit about each person and it was interesting to see the different perspectives of public health as it related to each county/department/job."
Class 1 Member
Education, collaboration, innovation
The Research Excellence Initiative is an established year-long educational program for the professional development and growth of Department of Health professionals to conduct public health research and program evaluation. The goal of this initiative is to:
- Promote high quality and innovative research at the Department, with the highest regard for research integrity, research ethics, professionalism, and regulatory requirements.
- Educate and recognize exemplary Department of Health researchers.
- Develop a cadre of experienced researchers who can promote excellence by serving as role models and mentors to future students and colleagues.
- Foster collaborations among Department researchers.
- Promote research on Department priorities, including Healthiest Weight and obesity, cancer and other tobacco-related diseases, health disparities/equity, trauma and substance abuse, and the healthy brain initiative.
All Department employees whose work involves public health research or research-related activities, and who have appropriate qualifications above, are eligible to apply for the program. Special consideration will be given to new researchers. Examples of relevant work may include experience with epidemiological investigations, evaluation of public health interventions or programs, and behavioral health or clinical research studies.