It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Florida’s System for Cancer Research and Collaboration
Statewide collaboration among our academic and community cancer programs is vital for better outcomes for patients with cancer. Florida’s System of Cancer Research and Collaboration is a public-private partnership that leverages statewide resources to maximize outcomes for patients with cancer and to prevent cancer for Florida’s families.
The Goals of Florida’s System for Research and Collaboration
Florida's the premier statewide research network
By creating a robust and coordinated statewide research network, Florida’s System for Cancer Research and Collaboration will promote accountability for Florida’s biomedical research investment through competitive peer review, focus a statewide research agenda on questions that matter to Florida’s families, and attract research dollars into the state.
Florida’s System for Cancer Research and Collaboration will work through the already established Cancer Control and Research Advisory Council (C-CRAB), Biomedical Research Advisory Council (BRAC), William G. “Bill” Bankhead, Jr., and David Coley Cancer Research Program, the James and Esther King Biomedical Research Program, and the Prostate Cancer Advisory Council. Key elements of the system include:
- Sustainment of the competitive peer-reviewed process for identifying and funding collaborative research proposals that best align with Florida’s cancer and tobacco-related disease research agenda.
- Development and implementation of transparent system metrics for accountability.
- Enhancement of bioinformatics, the state cancer registry, and other core technologies.
- Recruitment and retention of the best researchers.
- Inclusion of academic and community-based cancer centers.
- Outreach to community members in the design and conduct of research relevant to Floridians.
- Creation of a statewide network for cancer research with efficient and effective ethical and regulatory oversight for protection of patients participating in research.
Florida's the premiere destination for cancer care
By promoting statewide clinical protocols, Florida’s System for Cancer Research and Collaboration will make certain that Florida families affected by cancer receive state-of-the-art care in Florida, and that Florida moves to become the premiere end destination for cancer care in the nation and around the world.
Florida's premiere cancer prevention system
By synchronizing public and private prevention resources, Florida’s System for Cancer Research and Collaboration will help Florida’s families engage in cancer screening and risk reduction activities.