It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
Florida Rx Connects
Prescription Drug Donation Repository Program
The Florida Department of Health's Rx Connects Program facilitates the donation of certain prescription drugs and supplies to eligible patients through the creation of repositories.
Eligible organizations and/or facilities donate medications to support this program.
How does Florida Rx Connects work?
There are three key components of this program:
Each of these components include strict guidelines of eligibility to participate.
The following entities may participate as a repository:
- Health care practitioner's office.
- Hospital with a closed drug delivery system.
- Nursing home facility with a closed drug delivery system.
- Free or nonprofit health clinic that is licensed or permitted to dispense medicinal drugs in Florida.
The following entities are eligible to donate to an established repository:
- Nursing home facilities with closed drug delivery systems.
- Hospice facilities that have maintained control of a patient’s prescription drugs.
- Hospitals with closed drug delivery systems.
- Drug manufacturers or wholesale distributors.
- Medical device manufacturers or suppliers.
- Prescribers who receive prescription drugs or supplies directly from a drug manufacturer, wholesale distributor, or pharmacy.
Individuals Wishing to Donate
The statutory authority for this program does not include the donation of prescription drugs or supplies from individuals.
There are organizations that allow donations from individuals, however at this time individuals are not able to donate to Rx Connects.
Eligibility requirements for patients:
- Have a family income that is below 200% of the federal poverty level as defined by the most recently revised poverty income guidelines, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services OR uninsured or underinsured.
- Resident of Florida.
- Have a valid prescription for a donated drug.
- Complete and submit a Florida Rx Connects Patient Application and Dispensing form.
Immunity from Liability and Disciplinary Action
Any donor of prescription drugs or supplies and any participant in the program who exercises reasonable care in donating, accepting, distributing, or dispensing prescription drugs or supplies under the program is immune from civil or criminal liability and professional disciplinary action by the state for any injury, death, or loss to person or property relating to such activities.
A pharmaceutical manufacturer who exercises reasonable care is not liable for any claim or injury arising from the donation of any prescription drug or supply under this section, including, but not limited to, liability for failure to transfer or communicate product or consumer information regarding the donated prescription drug or supply, including its expiration date.
Florida Rx Connects is managed by the Florida Department of Health's Division of Emergency Preparedness and Community Support, Bureau of Public Health Pharmacy.
- PrescriptionDrugRepositoryProgram@FLHealth.gov - Please allow at least 24 hours for a response.