It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Medical Quality Assurance Services
Council of Licensed MidwiferyCustomer Contact CenterCouncil OfficeMailing Address (applications)
Council of Licensed Midwifery
PO Box 6330
Tallahassee, FL 32314
Council of Licensed Midwifery
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C-06
Tallahassee, FL 32399-3255
The Council of Licensed Midwifery is comprised of nine members appointed by the State Surgeon General. Per 467.004, Florida Statutes, the Council’s responsibilities are:
- Assist and advise the department in developing rules relating to: training requirements, including core competencies, for persons training to become licensed midwives; the licensure examination; fees; the informed consent form; responsibilities of midwives; emergency care plans; records and reports to be filed by licensed midwives; and other regulatory requirements developed by the department.
- Assist the department in developing rules to implement s. 467.205, relating to approval of midwifery training programs.
- Monitor and inform the department on the practice of midwifery in other states and countries by persons who are not nurses.
- Educate the public and other providers of obstetrical care about the role of licensed midwives.
- Collect and review data regarding licensed midwifery.
- Recommend changes in the Midwifery Practice Act to the department and the legislature.
- Address concerns and problems of practicing licensed midwives in order to promote improved safety in the practice of midwifery.
Are you a current or new council member? Helpful resources and information pertinent to your position are available on the new Division of Medical Quality Assurance (MQA) board member website. visit https://flhealthsource.gov/board-members
Members and Staff
The Council of Licensed Midwifery is an advisory council to the Department of Health comprised of nine members, to include:
- One certified nurse midwife
- One obstetrician certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- One family physician certified by the American Board of Family Practice
- Four licensed midwives
- One consumer member
- Current Council Members
- Council Staff
- Join the Council
Melissa Conord-Morrow, LM, RN, Chair
Appointed: 03/06/2015 – 03/05/2019
Susan “Robyn” Mattox, LM, Vice-Chair
Appointed: 03/19/2015 – 03/18/2019
Charlie Young, LM
Appointed: 06/02/2017 – 06/01/2021
David S. Stewart, MD
Appointed: 03/13/2015 – 03/12/2019
(Family Practice Physician)
Gerri DiBartolo, MSN, APRN, CNM
(Certified Nurse Midwife)
Program Operations Administrator
Regulatory Specialist III
Interested in appointment (or reappointment) to the Council of Licensed Midwifery?
Complete an appointment questionnaire online at
Appointment questionnaires are reviewed by the State Surgeon General. See the “Current Council Members” section above for vacancies.
Connect with DOH