It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
Take Action - Healthy Weight For Life
January 20, 2016
Jan. 20, 2016
Take Action: Healthy Weight for Life
Tallahassee, Fla. - Healthy Weight Week is Jan. 17 – Jan. 23 and the Florida Department of Health’s Healthiest Weight Florida initiative encourages adults and children to take action by adopting healthy, lasting habits. Created over two decades ago, Healthy Weight Week is a time to celebrate healthy (diet-free) habits that last a lifetime and prevent poor nutrition and weight problems. It’s all about pursuing realistic and sustainable healthy lifestyles through eating well and exercising.
The department has several tools to not only help Floridians create new healthy habits but also to maintain them over time. Experts say it takes about 60 days to form a new habit and to jump start new habits, the department has created the “60-Days to Better Health Challenge” downloadable tool. The tool allows Floridians to track their progress and create long-term healthy habits, including:
- Eat your colors;
- Drink 8oz of water 8 times a day;
- Engage in 60 minutes of physical activity each day;
- Work on quitting tobacco; and
In an effort to keep healthy habits in mind, Healthiest Weight Florida created Small Steps to Living Healthy, an email-based program that allows Floridians to sign up for weekly tips delivered directly to their inbox. These ideas are designed to help adults and children achieve or maintain a healthy weight. Each week of the month highlights a designated topic area:
- Set Goals. At the beginning of each month, a challenge and health tip are emailed. Examples of challenges include replacing sugar-sweetened beverages with water or taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Move More. During the second week of the month, physical activity is highlighted. Participants will be introduced to different styles of exercise and the benefits of each, including options for persons with disabilities.
- Be in the Know. Week three “fun fact” emails provide facts on other aspects of healthy living related to healthy weight such as stress, depression and time use.
- Eat Smart. The focus of this week’s email is nutrition. Florida fruits and vegetables of the month, as well as recipes, are offered through the Living Healthy in Florida Campaign.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.