Skip Global navigation and goto content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.

Skip MegaMenu and goto content
Megamenu requires javascript to be enabled in your browser.

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact the Immunization Section

1. What is Florida SHOTS and how does it work?

Florida SHOTS (State Health Online Tracking System) is a free, statewide, centralized online immunization registry that helps parents, health care providers and schools keep track of immunization records. Ask your health care provider for a personal identification number so you can view your child’s immunization history and print a copy of your child’s Florida Certification of Immunization (DH Form 680).

For more information visit the Florida SHOTS website at: You can also call the Florida SHOTS Help Desk at 1-877-888-7468.

Top of Section

2. How can I get a current and accurate immunization record for my child for school?

Contact your child’s health care provider who maintains your child’s immunization records. Their office can provide you with your child’s Florida Certification of Immunization (DH Form 680), the form needed for school.

Another place to look is at the County Health Department (CHD). If you received any immunizations there, they may be able to provide you with an immunization history. Locate a CHD in your area at

If your child has attended a child care center or school, they may have a copy of your child’s immunization history on file at the center/school depending on how long ago they attended.

Top of Section

3. What are the school immunization requirements for children relocating from another state to Florida?

Immunization requirements for children to attend school in Florida can be found at:

Top of Section

4. Can my children attend public or private school without immunizations?

All children who attend Florida schools (public or private) are required to be immunized in order to protect themselves and other children from potentially harmful and even fatal, vaccine-preventable diseases in accordance with Chapter 1003.22(4), Florida Statutes (FS), and Chapter 64D-3.046, Florida Administrative Code (FAC).

Top of Section

5. How can I get a religious exemption from immunization for my child?

A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented to the facility/school on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption From Immunization (DH 681 Form). The Form is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious tenets or practices. Religious exemption from immunization requirements is located at:

Top of Section

6. Do Florida colleges require proof of meningitis vaccination?

The Florida Legislature passed a law effective January 7, 2003, that requires all students who attend a Florida college and reside on campus to receive a meningitis and hepatitis B vaccine, or submit a waiver stating that they do not want the vaccine (if the student is under 18, a parent or guardian must sign the waiver). You should contact the specific college to find out their requirements and procedures.

Top of Section

7. Without medical insurance how can I get my children immunized?

The Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program is a federal program that provides eligible children with all recommended vaccines at no cost. The federal government pays for the vaccines. Doctors and clinics agree to give the vaccines to children who qualify.

Children from birth through 18 years of age can receive VFC vaccine if they:

  • Are enrolled in Medicaid (including Medipass and Medicaid HMOs); have no health insurance; are an American Indian or Alaskan Native as defined by the Indian Health Services Act (25 U.S.C. 1603) or underinsured.
  • Underinsured includes: Those who have commercial (private) health insurance but the coverage does not include vaccines. Whose insurance covers only selected vaccines (VFC-eligible for non-covered vaccines only). Whose insurance caps vaccine coverage at a certain amount, once that coverage amount is reached these children are categorized as underinsured.

Underinsured children are eligible to receive VFC Program vaccine only through a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or Rural Health Clinic (RHC). For locations, visit

Top of Section

8. How can I get health Insurance for my child?

Florida KidCare is the state's children's health insurance program for uninsured children under age 19. It includes four different parts, or programs: MediKids, Healthy Kids, Children's Medical Services, and Medicaid. When you apply for the insurance, Florida KidCare will check which program your child may be eligible for based on age and family income.

To apply for Florida KidCare, call 1-888-540-5437, apply online, or print an application and instructions.

Top of Section

9. Is there a website that lists clinics offering flu shots?

Visit the Immunization Section's Flu Prevention website. The includes links to Florida pharmacies that offer flu shots. You can contact your health care provider or local CHD regarding information on flu and pneumonia vaccines.

Top of Section

10. Where can I find information on travel vaccinations?

Information for travelers can be found on the travel vaccinations website. These pages have updated information regarding travel notices and immunization recommendations.

You should consult your health care provider to determine what you will need, depending on factors such as your health and immunization history, areas of the country you will be visiting, and planned activities. Travel vaccinations may be available from your local CHD.

Top of Section

*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Acrobat Reader may be required to view these files.