Surveillance and Investigation
Florida HealthDisease Control
Guidance for Surveillance and Investigation of COVID-19
- Epidemiologic risk for novel coronavirus continues to be exclusively travel to Wuhan City, China or contact with a confirmed case or PUI for COVID-19.
- Sign and symptoms requirements are fever and symptoms of lower respiratory illness (e.g., cough, shortness of breath).
- Absence of fever does not rule out a PUI, however this is dependent on the individual circumstance.
- Please discuss all investigations of potential PUIs with your regional epidemiologist and laboratory liaison (http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/disease-reporting-and-management/disease-reporting-and-surveillance/_documents/investigation-unit-map.pdf) or the BOE on-call epidemiologist at 850-245-4401 after hours.
- All available recommended specimens (see guidance) for COVID-19 PUIs will be sent to BPHL and shipped to CDC for testing. In the coming weeks, we expect BPHL to obtain testing capability.
- All PUIs must be entered in Merlin quickly to obtain testing at CDC.
- Guidance on this response is expected to change rapidly.