For information on deaths that occurred outside of Florida, visit, www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm
For information on deaths that occurred outside of the United States, visit the National Center for Health Statistics.
Need information on Apostilles?
Ordering a Florida Death Certificate
Any person who willfully and knowingly provides any false information on a certificate, record or report required by Chapter 382, Florida Statutes, or on an application or affidavit, or who obtains confidential information from any Vital Record under false or fraudulent purposes, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in Chapter 775, Florida Statutes.
The Bureau of Vital Statistics is committed to providing the highest quality and most expeditious service possible. There are 3 ordering options and fees vary based on the method you choose.
Please note that limited deaths were recorded between 1877 and 1917
- Mail-in or Walk-in to the Bureau of Vital Statistics in Jacksonville (additional ordering information provided below).
- Order online or by phone through VitalChek, our ONLY contracted vendor (additional ordering information provided below). Please be cautious when ordering online, as there are many other vendors offering to assist you with this simple process. VitalChek is the only vendor with the ability to download orders directly to our agency.
- Mail-in or Walk-in to a local county health department in Florida for deaths occurring from 2009 to present only. Find a location near you, ordering information, and fees at Florida County Health Departments
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (Section 119.071 Florida Statutes): Social security numbers held by the Department of Health on death certificates are confidential and will only be issued to an eligible party listed below, regardless of the date of death. Therefore, the first five digits of the decedent’s social security number will be redacted when issuing a public record request.ELIGIBILITY (Section 382.025 Florida Statutes):
WITHOUT CAUSE OF DEATH: Any person of legal age (18 or over) may apply for a certified copy of a death record without the cause of death and the first five digits of the decedent’s social security number redacted.
APPLICANT’S VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION IS REQUIRED WHEN REQUESTING CAUSE OF DEATH CAUSE OF DEATH INFORMATION: Death records less than 50 years old with the cause of death and full social security number are confidential and may only be issued to:
- the decedent’s spouse or parent;
- to the decedent’s child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age;
- to any person who provides a will, insurance policy or other document that demonstrates his or her interest in the estate of
- to any person who provides documentation that he or she is acting on behalf of any of the above-named persons; OR
- by court order
An Affidavit to Release Cause of Death Information completed by an eligible individual may be utilized when requesting cause of death information.
ORDERING FROM THE BUREAU OF VITAL STATISTICS:
Fees: A $5.00 search fee includes a thorough search of one calendar year for the entire State of Florida and one certified copy of the death record. If the date of death is unknown, there is an additional charge of $2.00 per calendar year to be searched. If no record is found, a certified “No Record Found” statement will be issued. Additional certificates are $4.00 each.
1217 N Pearl St, Jacksonville, FL 32202
Lobby hours: M-F 8:00-4:30 Eastern Standard Time
Phone: (904) 359-6900, ext. 9000
N30° 20.2614', W081° 39.5608'
Deaths occurring from 2009-present may be issued while you wait. Records prior to 2009 require an additional $10 rush fee for same day service, when available. Payments may be in the form of cash, check, money order, Visa, and Mastercard.
Normal processing time for death certificates from 2009 to present is 3 to 5 business days. Records prior to 2009 require additional processing time. Rush orders are given priority processing and require an additional $10 fee (Mark the outside of your envelope "RUSH").
Please note: Processing time does not include postal transit time to and from our office. All orders, including RUSH orders are mailed Standard U.S. Postal delivery unless a special prepaid delivery envelope is provided.
Print and mail a completed application or send a written request.
DH727 Application for a Death Record (English PDF 564KB)
DH727S Application for a Death Record (Spanish PDF 181KB)
DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS
Bureau of Vital Statistics
Attn: Vital Records Section
P.O. Box 210
Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042
Written Request in lieu of our application form:
- Provide information about the person named on the certificate: Full name on death record, Sex, Date of death (if unknown, specify range of years to be searched and provide additional fee of $2.00 per calendar year), Date of birth, City or County of death, Social Security number (if known).
- Provide information about the person ordering the certificate: Full name, Relationship to decedent, Mailing address, Phone number, Signature of Applicant.If you are a Funeral Director or an Attorney, please provide the name of the individual you represent and their relationship to the decedent, along with your professional license number.
- Type of Certificate:
- Death certificate without cause of death (public record)
- Death certificate with cause of death (confidential for 50 years - VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION REQUIRED).
- Payment: Check or money order payable to "Vital Statistics". DO NOT send cash. International payments should be made by Cashier’s Check or Money Order in U.S. Dollars drawn upon a U.S. Bank. Florida Law imposes an additional service charge of $15.00 for dishonored checks. Fees are nonrefundable, except fee paid for additional copies when no record is found. These are refunded on written request.
ORDER FROM VITALCHEK (OUR ONLY CONTRACTED VENDOR)
In a hurry? Order online or by phone with a credit card from VitalChek® network, our ONLY contracted vendor. VitalChek charges an additional $7.00 service fee to verify your identity, obtain ordering information and download your request directly to our office.
VitalChek provides the option to order from Florida Vital Statistics or from the local health department in the county where the death occurred. Florida Vital Statistics charges a $15.00 agency fee which includes the first certificate and $4.00 for additional certificates. County Health Department fees vary. UPS shipping is available for an additional charge and requires signature upon delivery.
To order, go to www.VitalChek.com or speak with a customer representative at 1-877-550-7330. If calling from outside of the United States, call 877-550-6800. If you should experience problems with the online ordering, please contact VitalChek® directly for assistance.
PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS WHEN ORDERING FROM OTHER ONLINE VENDORS: Many online vendors offer assistance with the simple process of ordering a vital record. They charge additional fees but have no ability to expedite the processing of your order. Death certificates can only be issued by an official government agency. The Bureau of Vital Statistics has no affiliation with these vendors, nor can we guarantee the confidentiality of any information you provide to any vendor other than VitalChek®.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Email to VitalStats@flhealth.gov